What would cause a capacitor to fail prematurely?

HmoobVaj
10+ year member

SoCal
My brother and I decided to test out his 1.5f capacitor on a sub system I was using temporarily as my home theater sub. Basically its my receiver feeding a mono signal to a power acoustic amp bridged for about 300w to a 10" bazooka tube. Everything was powered with a battery charger set to 60amps output. We charged the cap like instructed and got it working. We were testing it for about 10mins with heavy bass material and suddenly it just started making a hissing noise as if air was leaking from it. It also got almost too hot to hold too. Luckily it didnt explode on us but we have confirmed it's dead.

So wtf happened?

i dont know

but its probaly more useful broken then it was working //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

It's a capacitor, who cares?
my cap matched with my stinger batt keeps my voltage above 12.5 volts at all times. without the combination my civic cant handle more than 400 watts before lights start dimming and battery begins to drain. they arent completely useless, just not practical. if it didnt come in my car i wouldnt use it after reading all the capacitor alternatives.

I'm positive (pun intended) it was hooked up right. Dont think it'll work that long if it wasnt.
it would if the ground was bad... you did have it grounded right? if it was just a poor ground and not a sufficient one itll work just work really bad/heat up just like amps will im assuming.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.