what to know when combining a new Head Unit, amp and speakers

Participant count
  • Participant list

@lexzaander

Brand new to this forum. So first thing first ... sup'

Introductions aside. Just purchased a new vehicle ( 2005 mercury grand marquis). I want to install:

a new head unit

new door speakers

2 or perhaps 4 tweeters

and an amplifier to push it all.

Not worrying about adding sub woofers (at least for now), I'm a seasoned musician and I'm looking for two things - loud and clear. What should i pay attention to so i make sure everything i pick up is compatible? What should i be expecting for a grand total? Famous combinations? Keep in mind its a large car. Thanks

Install. Rule #1 is making sure your equipment is properly installed. You can put a 700-dollar set of components in your car, but if you didn't pay attention to making sure the speakers were installed well and the doors properly deadened, they won't come out right. Especially with you being a musician, I know the attack of the drums, the rolling of the bassline, and the crunch/twang of the guitars are going to make a huge part of your decision. I'm a musician myself and have been extremely happy with my JBL MS comps with their faithful reproduction of live instruments, but if you can go higher with your budget, might suggest the Focal PS series comps.

I would recommend setting aside about 150 bucks for sound deadener on top of what you already have. The improvements it will make in your midbass response and reduction in road noise will be invaluable for you.

As for the amplifier? There's tons of amazing options out there. @trumpet ; has a great deal on the PPI P900.4 which is an active-capable amplifier with more than enough power for anything and is small enough for you to be able to fit under your seats if you prefer.

Hope that helps...

Go with a class D amp, 6 ch HU with 4 volt or higher RCA connectors, best brands Alpine, pioneer, kenwood, Jvc ( great value)

You want components in the front (separate tweeter and midbass driver) and coaxials in the back. jbl ms is a good choice for clear sound, jbl p660C will play louder and offers good value handling more than twice the power rating the recommended. If you can spend more money

The Hertz hsk xl will not disappoint either.

Sound deadening will increase midbass reduce rattles, but may decrease deep low bass if used on the entire door, an HU with EQ will help to get deeper bass if no sub is going to be used.

Brand new to this forum. So first thing first ... sup'
Introductions aside. Just purchased a new vehicle ( 2005 mercury grand marquis). I want to install:

a new head unit

new door speakers

2 or perhaps 4 tweeters

and an amplifier to push it all.

Not worrying about adding sub woofers (at least for now), I'm a seasoned musician and I'm looking for two things - loud and clear. What should i pay attention to so i make sure everything i pick up is compatible? What should i be expecting for a grand total? Famous combinations? Keep in mind its a large car. Thanks
You've got 6x8s in the front and rear. I'm really liking JBL right now and the GTO8608C components should do you well without costing a whole lot. Some people will tell you to use adapters to fit 6.5" components, and while it's not the worst thing I don't like going to a smaller woofer.

An amplifier for the speakers is a must to maintain clarity at high volume. You don't need to match the power ratings, which is a common belief. It's good to have more power than less power if it's tuned right, which we can help you do.

I would at least add a door pack of sound deadener for the front doors and some deadener for the rear package tray as well.

I wouldn't take it too seriously. There's talk on both camps about it, but considering CLD (which most people think is the beginning and the end of deadener) is just a vibration reducer, the only ill effect of applying too much is a lighter wallet. Your money and efforts are better spent with a competent application of CLD (some will say 25% of the surface, some up to 50...there's no real right or wrong) followed by thorough application of CCF (stuff like DynaLiner or Raam PS Ensolite) and rounding it out with (if you want to go all the way) overlapped MLV. The topic's been discussed at length on several websites, but if you want the whole idea, just google "Sound Deadener Showdown" and everything will be explained in detail there.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.