what power levels to the freq ranges equals a balanced sound

Participant count
  • Participant list

sizmtrz

Good Afternoon all!

Is there a rule of thumb regarding ratio of power distribution from sub/midbass/midrange/highs to develop a balanced sound? I have been planning on 500 to the sub, and 400 to the rest of the stage. Any advice would be appreciated.

im running my fronts off my deck (like 20 watts per channel). got 600 going to my 1 12" sub. my subs way louder. but even if i amped my fronts, the sub would still be louder

but i love having the headroom for my sub

Good Afternoon all!

Is there a rule of thumb regarding ratio of power distribution from sub/midbass/midrange/highs to develop a balanced sound? I have been planning on 500 to the sub, and 400 to the rest of the stage. Any advice would be appreciated.
Really depends on the type of vehicle and speaker, sub and locations to be honest. I mean 500 watts on a sub in the cabin space will more than likely yield towards better results rather than 500 watts in trunk space ? For 500 watts on sub stage? Even 1k? 2k? 3K? Mids at ear level tweeters at forehead level 8-10" away on 75-100 watts? You may rarely hear the sub in the Cabin area , but Mids @8-10" off the floor kick panel on axis Location or door cavity on 75-150 rms, and tweeters in A pillars on approx 30-50 rms. Prob blend right in just fine. Head room is always nice on any amplifier. they run cooler generally and will usually last a little longer for you.You let a dog run full blast he will get pretty tired eventually and wear out. Trot a dog and pace it they will usually go a bit more distance without wearing out as quickly

Good Afternoon all!

More power just means you have headroom... the ability to be much louder if need be. If you have say 1000w+ to your sub(s) and 500w to your mids and highs you can get VERY loud. However, if you have this power and only listen to it at reasonable volumes then that extra power, if tuned properly, will have little to no distortion and your music will be clean and full sounding. One can "grow out of" too little power quickly.

Does this mean matching the amps Rms to the max rms of the speakers is incorrect? Should I be over amping and turn the gain back?
Example: If your speakers say 100w RMS then you will be safe with an amplifier that is 125-150w RMS if the gains are properly set. It will allow you headroom. Music is dynamic. Your 100w RMS speaker can and should be able to handle brief transient peaks up into the 150+w range with no issues. Under normal volume listening you will be lucky to be pushing 50 -75w to your speakers which may still be pretty loud.

Example: If your speakers say 100w RMS then you will be safe with an amplifier that is 125-150w RMS if the gains are properly set. It will allow you headroom. Music is dynamic. Your 100w RMS speaker can and should be able to handle brief transient peaks up into the 150+w range with no issues. Under normal volume listening you will be lucky to be pushing 50 -75w to your speakers which may still be pretty loud.
Thank you… thats clear now. I appreciate the help.

I’m limited to slip or shallow subs, unless I go 6.5”s and front face them. Unless of course I do away with the back seat of the gladiator. I’m actually pondering some inexpensive suspension buckets in back and build an enclosure between them. Idk… the strugle is real with wants and can reasonably afford. Lol

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...