What head unit for 2002 Town and Country with 4 disk changer

Participant count
  • Participant list

dbldutch

I sold my car and left everything in it except my sub, box and amp. I have a big Brutus amp and an Infinity Kappa Perfect 12dvq in a cheap sealed box.

My factory radio is one of those 1.5 DIN ones and then there is a single DIN 4-disk changer farther down the console, that is now unusable.

Initially, I'm trying to pick a head unit because everything else will cascade off of that selection.

Considerations:

I have friends and family in the industry that say, only Pioneer. I'm open for opinions though.

I plan to use MP3s via CDs (or DVDs), USB sticks or most likely SD cards.

I have only Android phones.

The Pioneer DEH-80PRS is the most expensive head unit I will consider.

Initially, I will keep the factory speakers, but I want to add my sub in.

Pioneer really doesn't have a lower cost head unit that uses SD cards. Do they?

Do all those advanced features work if you aren't using discrete tweeters, mids and woofers? I'm talking about time alignment, three way network, etc?

Most non-audio advanced features are of no interest to me, except maybe phone integration.

With little kids at home, my car is the only place where I can listen to my music, my way.

First post, thanks!

it's not only Pioneer.

Clarion, JVC, Kenwood, and Alpine also make good head units. Pioneer isn't without problems. The features offered by each vary. DVD's won't be in your budget so just scratch that.

you can use time alignment with a standard front/rear system and using it will greatly improve your enjoyment by giving you a sound stage. i recommend that T/A be a requirement.

Crutchfield will help you look at what fits (with a mounting kit) while also sorting by Android phone interface + USB. don't worry about SD Cards directly, you can get an SD card to USB for a couple bucks. Anything that reads USB is sufficient.

does the van have the Infinity sound system?

No Infinity system, but I just noticed steering wheel controls.

I am pretty set on SD card because that will be flush, nothing sticking out from the dash. That is worth a bit of a premium in my opinion.

No Infinity system, but I just noticed steering wheel controls.
I am pretty set on SD card because that will be flush, nothing sticking out from the dash. That is worth a bit of a premium in my opinion.
You can get small USB like the HP v165.

Fair enough.

I am still looking for head unit recommendations and accessories used to hook in the steering wheel controls, and my amp and sub. And finally to finish the dash, since it was a 1.5 DIN OEM unit.

Thanks. Still looking for HU recommendations so I can get this project rolling.

I also don't know where to look for the plastic to fill the space around the head unit in my dash, since my OEM one is 1.5 DIN.

I don't know what other parts make for a good, clean, easy install. My previous car stereo was in the car when I bought it. I figured out how to hook in my subwoofer but that was it. I didn't know anything else about the install.

Also, does anyone recommend a breaker based sub amp power cable or does everyone use fused kits?

I also thought about quick connects, like how that battery in a quality UPS Is connected, in case I needed to move my sub in a hurry. When I had a flat in my old car, it REALLY ****** to have to unhook the sub, in the winter, in the dark, just to get to the spare.

I am really and truly new to this. Just looking for help from experts.

Thanks. Still looking for HU recommendations so I can get this project rolling.

I also don't know where to look for the plastic to fill the space around the head unit in my dash, since my OEM one is 1.5 DIN.

I don't know what other parts make for a good, clean, easy install. My previous car stereo was in the car when I bought it. I figured out how to hook in my subwoofer but that was it. I didn't know anything else about the install.

Also, does anyone recommend a breaker based sub amp power cable or does everyone use fused kits?

I also thought about quick connects, like how that battery in a quality UPS Is connected, in case I needed to move my sub in a hurry. When I had a flat in my old car, it REALLY ****** to have to unhook the sub, in the winter, in the dark, just to get to the spare.

I am really and truly new to this. Just looking for help from experts.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.