What Happened?

Participant count
  • Participant list

MONSONwarrior
Premium Member

Constantly Rebuilding...
I was reinstalling my AP15001d today and it just blows a fuse when I reconnect the battery. I hooked everything up with no fuse in the fuse holder up front, then I disconnected the battery, installed the front fuse, and when I reconnected the battery it sparked and my rear fuse popped. I tried an 80a and a 100a and both fried. Is my amp fried? what did I do wrong?

Sounds like you have your + grounded somewhere between the amp and the batt. What size is the fuse by the batt, that it is not popping first?
no it's not, it's a 120a up front because it's just 4 awg for now. The AP has a fuse on the wire instead of on the amp so where would I be grounding? I did change my ground but I don't see how that would cause it.

if you keep putting bigger fuses in it you'll eventiually find the problem //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif
It comes with a 100a //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif, and I had an 80 in for competition when I was running lower power, so I tried to just start it up that way //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif

no it's not, it's a 120a up front because it's just 4 awg for now. The AP has a fuse on the wire instead of on the amp so where would I be grounding? I did change my ground but I don't see how that would cause it.
you need to brush up on your basic electronics. no one ever said your ground wire was the problem. you are grounding out the positive line.

you need to brush up on your basic electronics. no one ever said your ground wire was the problem. you are grounding out the positive line.
I understood that, and I haven't hooked up an amp in forever so I'm a little rusty. But would it be a cut in the insulation which caused a short? or would that be at the amp? or where could it be?

thats why i never use fuses...too many problems besides being a weak link in your wiring...if you wire everything right you don't need fuses...
Seems like a fuse would avoid //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/blow_up.gif.f2a780e8b12ae09e264cb01720b8dca2.gif

I understood that, and I haven't hooked up an amp in forever so I'm a little rusty. But would it be a cut in the insulation which caused a short? or would that be at the amp? or where could it be?
best thing to do would be to check your power wire from the batt back, if it is fine, try a different amp, doesnt matter what it is just a proof of concept more than anything, to see if it is something with the amp, if the other one works then open up the amp and see if the power ground imputs are shorting,

problem solved. the fuse was just too small which doesn't really make sense because I had it hooked up that way before... but I'm just going to order a 150a and install that later.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

MONSONwarrior

Premium Member
Constantly Rebuilding...
MONSONwarrior
Baton Rouge, LA
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date