unbiased opinion SA8v2 or W7 8"

There is more engineering in the W7 than the SA8 will ever have.
i tend to disagree here. the 8w7 jut uses shunk down part from the bigger driver. and the w7 has had 0 design change in how many years?

if you want sq id go with an id8 arc 8 or a morel ultimo 8, sql wise i like the sa8v2, the dd1508, vvx8, and the 8w7 but i put the jl at the bottom of my list due to enclosure size, price, and the fact that if you blow it up only jl can fix it and they will rape u on price.

personally i will never run less than 4 8"s so i tend to step up to 10"s. 1.75cubes tuned to 35 each and im happy with just about any 10" driver.

in the end the sq you get from the sub is dependent on the enclosure and no seal doesnt mean sq ported can sound just as good if designed properly. the bigger concern is over driving the speaker due to lack of output which causes more distortion than most any actual speaker design

If you want the best bang for buck SQ with 8 inch subs, check out Alpine's Type-R 8 driver. My understanding is that it's different from the regular Type-Rs, which are no sloth. It's an over-engineered subwoofer with ultra-low inductance, which is great for SQ. Moreover, it's very reasonably priced. Usually, a major online vendor has it on sale for like $120, add or subtract. So, you can get at least two R8s for the price of one JL W8. While the W8 maybe a better driver when compared one on one, having two subs is great for SPL _and_ SQ, as less stroke for a given SPL level, due to double cone area, results in less excursion, and lower distortion. Check the 31 page long R8 discussion on DIYMA:

Alpine SWR-823D / 843D 8" Subwoofers - DIYMA Car Audio Forum

zin the end the sq you get from the sub is dependent on the enclosure and no seal doesnt mean sq ported can sound just as good if designed properly. the bigger concern is over driving the speaker due to lack of output which causes more distortion than most any actual speaker design
The ported design does have higher group delay which some SQ people claim to be able to hear. Having said this, I think it's silly to run an 8 inch sub in a sealed box unless you have to fit it in 0.3 cubes.

That doesn't mean it is worth double the price for comparative performance. I. The SA8V2 is a very solid well built driver and I would have to choose it hands down over an 8w7. I've owned a 12w7 before and was impressed by its performance for being underpowered but you really do pay for the name especially when factoring in the huge price jump over sundown pricing.

The SA-8 v.2 has had a TON of testing, R&D, and engineering involved in it's creation. Optimized / flat CMS (8W7 also has this) and an even Le curve (8W7 has no inductive treatment other than a low rest value from the 2-layer coil) are not accidental... they result from lots of computer modelling and Klippel testing. The over-hung topology was chosen over a BL optimized topology for customer preference reasons for this model (without using a patented technology or one not practical for a woofer of this price to flatten out an over-hung such as JL's or Alpines we are left with under-hung or XBL^2 -- both of which have lower thermal power handling; which was a high priority for an SA line woofer).

The advantage to the 8W7 from objective distortion figures is a flatter BL curve with a bit more x-max (I tested up to the x-max levels of an 8W7 and lost output across the board in it's intended ported alignment and intended power range). This was a design choice and not a limitation of our capability.

In a sealed box the 8W7 is a better choice -- in most ported applications the SA-8 v.2 is going to be a better choice. From a customer preference stand-point we aimed squarely at ported boxes. I am sure that JL's customers typically prefer sealed and the 8W7 sounds awesome sealed.

I won't argue that JL doesn't have alot of time and R&D into their products; the fact is they DO and due to their size they have certain advantages -- they are a great brand with a ton of innovative designs and patents out there -- but I do get a bit annoyed when all the time I've spent on a product is totally written off with snide comments unrelated to the discussion at hand as if there is simply NO WAY the smaller company can possibly make a well engineered product.

We spent nearly 2 years of testing, tooling, and development to create the SA-8 v.2 and it shows in any unbiased test of the product in it's intended application.

The SA-8 v.2 has had a TON of testing, R&D, and engineering involved in it's creation. Optimized / flat CMS (8W7 also has this) and an even Le curve (8W7 has no inductive treatment other than a low rest value from the 2-layer coil) are not accidental... they result from lots of computer modelling and Klippel testing. The over-hung topology was chosen over a BL optimized topology for customer preference reasons for this model (without using a patented technology or one not practical for a woofer of this price to flatten out an over-hung such as JL's or Alpines we are left with under-hung or XBL^2 -- both of which have lower thermal power handling; which was a high priority for an SA line woofer).
The advantage to the 8W7 from objective distortion figures is a flatter BL curve with a bit more x-max (I tested up to the x-max levels of an 8W7 and lost output across the board in it's intended ported alignment and intended power range). This was a design choice and not a limitation of our capability.

In a sealed box the 8W7 is a better choice -- in most ported applications the SA-8 v.2 is going to be a better choice. From a customer preference stand-point we aimed squarely at ported boxes. I am sure that JL's customers typically prefer sealed and the 8W7 sounds awesome sealed.

I won't argue that JL doesn't have alot of time and R&D into their products; the fact is they DO and due to their size they have certain advantages -- they are a great brand with a ton of innovative designs and patents out there -- but I do get a bit annoyed when all the time I've spent on a product is totally written off with snide comments unrelated to the discussion at hand as if there is simply NO WAY the smaller company can possibly make a well engineered product.

We spent nearly 2 years of testing, tooling, and development to create the SA-8 v.2 and it shows in any unbiased test of the product in it's intended application.
I bought an SA8v.2 for my brother, looks like i'm getting another one for my car (over the JL due to price and bad assery of the v.2) Thank you for your time and information Jacob //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif Completely unrelated and off topic, I can't wait for the Nightshade v.3, who knew patented baskets took so long //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

you wont be disappointed in the v.2's, i had a pair in a super efficient enclosure on a saz 1500. could do a 140.2 at 28hz and peaked at 30, doing a 142... not crazy loud but would respond down to 18hz and played very well up to 60hz...

i had a lot of fun shocking people with that setup, and will probably be putting it back in after finals is said and done.

the sa-8 v.2 has had a ton of testing, r&d, and engineering involved in it's creation. Optimized / flat cms (8w7 also has this) and an even le curve (8w7 has no inductive treatment other than a low rest value from the 2-layer coil) are not accidental... They result from lots of computer modelling and klippel testing. The over-hung topology was chosen over a bl optimized topology for customer preference reasons for this model (without using a patented technology or one not practical for a woofer of this price to flatten out an over-hung such as jl's or alpines we are left with under-hung or xbl^2 -- both of which have lower thermal power handling; which was a high priority for an sa line woofer).
The advantage to the 8w7 from objective distortion figures is a flatter bl curve with a bit more x-max (i tested up to the x-max levels of an 8w7 and lost output across the board in it's intended ported alignment and intended power range). This was a design choice and not a limitation of our capability.

In a sealed box the 8w7 is a better choice -- in most ported applications the sa-8 v.2 is going to be a better choice. From a customer preference stand-point we aimed squarely at ported boxes. I am sure that jl's customers typically prefer sealed and the 8w7 sounds awesome sealed.

I won't argue that jl doesn't have alot of time and r&d into their products; the fact is they do and due to their size they have certain advantages -- they are a great brand with a ton of innovative designs and patents out there -- but i do get a bit annoyed when all the time i've spent on a product is totally written off with snide comments unrelated to the discussion at hand as if there is simply no way the smaller company can possibly make a well engineered product.

We spent nearly 2 years of testing, tooling, and development to create the sa-8 v.2 and it shows in any unbiased test of the product in it's intended application.
bammm!

The 8w7 looks overpriced. For the same money you can buy a SA8 and a custom built box. Or maybe a couple of SD-2 8s. Not no knock on Jl Audio, but I wouldn't drop much coin on an 8 inch subwoofer, but perhaps on 10, 12, or 13. Also, Alpine's Type-R 8s have good reputation for SQ. They probably don't much the JL in linear stoke, but you can get 2-3 of them and still spend less.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.