Two 2" ports-vs-one 4" port???????

C.J.Rourke
10+ year member

Mesa,Az.
I started building some boxes on the side for some xtra $$$$..... Things are great as it is something I realy enjoy!! Most of my sub boxes I tune to 35Htz. The one I'm about to port is for a P-up reg. cab. Everyone knows what a pain in the a#* it is to get pounding bass in such a small space behind the seat! The last few I built I used only one 10" 4 Ohm D.V.C. @ 2 Ohm . Man O Man this config. pounds like hell!!! Most people say"It sounds like two 12's" "How do you have the space?"

Well back to my Queri. I do not like to hear port woosh so I go as big as pos. w/ the port. This box is going in a Dodge Dakota a "mid size truck" Great even less room to work w/..... For me I want the port on top of the box so I feel the wind on the back of my neck. I'm not going to shoot it foward in to the back of the seat, or back of the cab, or floor board. This said ,it leaves two sides Top & Side...

I know side gets the job done now. If I port the side I would like to do both sides.

Question #1. So lets say it calls for one port 4"x 6.5" long ...How do I split this up????

Question #2. If I port the top I only have 2-1/2"s to play with.How can I use two 2" ports & not get port woosh?

I hope some of you people w/ mega knowledge will take a moment out of your life to help someone that is trying to learn.

Thank-You C.J. POUND THE GROUND

As mentioned already, you would need 4 of the 2" ports.

It is very possible to use the 2" ports with better results than it is to use the 4" port.

Play around with it on your program and see if the group delays don't improve using the multiple 2" ports over the single 4" port. Port noise will also be alot less noticable.

Make sure to round over the edges of the ports both inside and out on whatever size you choose to go with.

I have a reg cab ford ranger with a 12 in' P3 tuned to 32 hz with 2.25 ft3 air space. In a Reg cab ford ranger that is a fairly large box. I used two three inch ports by using a 90 deg elbow for both. The internal entry of the port is pointing away from the direction of the sub. The sub is placed directly behnd the driver seat and the ports exit from the box in the middle of the box between the driver and passenger one right on top of the other aprox 3 inches apart. I have very limited port noise not noticable at all actually. That sounds very very impressive for just one twelve, as you said no one believes it is only one sub stuffed in behind the seats of that tiny ass truck. Not to mention no one believes that the vehicle driving by is the white ford ranger regular cab slamming the BASS all over the place. Its fun. If I were you I would try the four 2" ports firing up if that is what you want. YOu can distribute them evenly acrossed the top of the box. If you are going with a single four inch port, I think you would get a tad bit of port noise. Four two's in that aplication would suit you fine. I always stick with 3 in. or above. But sometimes you are limited in what you are trying to accomplish. Good luck, and be sure to post pics.

db, I checked out your link. GOOD S*!# man!!! I am also painting all my custome boxes. no seams, no carpet, no "80's" look. I think if it's not formed to fit & painted it's not custom to that Ride! Anyone can slap some wood together & have a box but after you sand, grind, fill, sand, fill, prime, sand, prime, sand, paint, sand, clear, sand, polish... THEN IT'S CUSTOM! I want my box's to only go in the ride I build it for, or the same year & body style. Then you only have to re-paint ,or come see me for a new BOX...

Keep UP The GOOD Work!!! Your stuff ROCKS.

Joe, It sounds to me like, you are in the same plane of thought as I. It's been a week or so when I first posted, & I had some of the responses DEL. what I'm trying to say is..... I cut 2 holes in the sides of the box @ 3".. I have not installed the port tubes yet. I've been busy w/ my real job. I own & operate

C.J.'s Lawn & Landscaping co. that keeps me sort'a busy...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.