Tools???

KARLEON
10+ year member

Livin' Legend
Ok, im starting to get tired of asking neighbors to borrow tools and stuff. They are extremely nice about it, i just feel uncomfortable doing it. Anyways, that is the reason why my "Project Wanna Be Loud" isnt done yet. Cant cut wood and stuff.. So i figured since Christmas just passed and my birthday is on Jan. 7 i could get the stuff i need.

Well im suppose to be getting a table saw soon. Dont know if thats a Christmas or birthday present...But i think i saw one at sears for 199.

Ummm, i have a drill but its awful, so i might try to invest in another. I know i will need a Jig saw to cut the circles and stuff. And a palm sander. Now my question is, where is the cheapest place to get these items from? They will be strickly for box building, since i dont do any other kind of construction. So it doesnt have to be the best of the best, just something decent and something that will get the job done. Oh and what other tools did i leave out? Anyways, if anyone knows the cheapest place to buy these from them please let me know...thanks

ryobi would be your friend. real nice for personal use but not good if you use it everyday 10 times a day lol. you should be able to get everything at lowes for 200 (table saw stand and at atleast a 12v drill) sears craftsman are a little better but cost a little more. if you plan on using the drill ALOT get a dewalt or equivilant. also hit up home depot and get a milwakee 90 degree scew end makes getting in tight spaces easy (one of the best tools for under 25 bucks)

I'd seriously consider a router, it does a much better job then a jigsaw and there's a great deal more you can do with it. Rounding edges, notching, beveling, recessed areas for speaker grills or plexi windows, etc. A router is almost always in a wood workers toolbox. A dremel is a must if you're gonna do any fiberglassing, if you don't already have one.

I'd seriously consider a router, it does a much better job then a jigsaw and there's a great deal more you can do with it. Rounding edges, notching, beveling, recessed areas for speaker grills or plexi windows, etc. A router is almost always in a wood workers toolbox. A dremel is a must if you're gonna do any fiberglassing, if you don't already have one.
False, i used a router for months. Then i jumped to a good jig-saw and it's MUCH easier and A SHITLOAD QUICKER to cut circles. The router...it creates tooooo mcuh friction cutting through MDF...even with special bits it's slow and they burn up a lot. You have to constantly replace the bits...that's if they don't break on ya as well...

The cheap table saws are absolute crap. Get a good circular saw instead.
YUP!!! They ****...a lot. DO NOT get a table saw like you're discussing. Get a top notch circular saw, then develop a clamp spacer to cut exact lines with it. Also, i wouldn't wanna cut 4'x8' sheets on those flimsy tables. Only table saw i use is my neighbor's at his shop (10,000 sq. ft. woodworking shop...GIGANTIC table saw, permanent inudstrial) or my g/f's dad at his shop (again...hug...metal...permanent) peace

NG

Man thanks for all the advice. I'll check into these items. Should be able to get a decent discount because my g/f works at sears. Im sure they get decent discounts

Also....Thuracine, looks like all the great people in life were born on Jan. 7

Me, you, my uncle, my cousin, and this other dude i know

I'd also reccomend against purchasing a cheap table saw. I bought the $149 portable Ryobi one, its great and all, but if you're stuck on a table saw I'd go with a blade upgrade. The 34 or 40-tooth (whatever it is) just isnt smooth enough as I'd like for cutting MDF. That was the first mistake I made, (table saw) when buying tools for my DUBurban project. Its great for making long rips, albeit thin ones, but for halving full 4x8s its a pain. A circular saw is a lot esier to move around than a 3/4" thick piece of MDF. Go with a nice Craftsman or laser-guided, with a side arm side attachment, great saws that will get the job done just as well.

However I'm not knocking table saws, for other household projects I've done, the table saw is one of the best tools you could have.

Every tool has a purpose.....

Depends what you are trying to do, for cutting mounting holes through 3/4" or 1" MDF, a jig saw is a lot better tool. Routers definitely have their place though as you mentioned. Now that I think about it, my next box will have recessed mounting holes....
x2 on the Dremel as well, one of the most useful purchases I've ever made.

i dont know how it is anywhere else but 99.9% of places around indiana will cut the wood in half or 1/3's for free. i have a craftsman with extentions (got it for 160 with my club card) only problem i had was cutting 1" hardwoods (like oak) until i got a blade for it. i also have a circular saw with c-clamp rip guide. you are right about using that on full sheets but i would take advantage on the lumberyards saw its built to do that for free lol. my father has 3 tablesaws one is a big delta other 2 are portable ryobis they cut 1" mdf fine just gotta know how to set a rip fence.

so far i have built all my boxes with a skillsaw, a fence, jig saw, drill, and clamps they were not to bad eather. I just got a dremal, circular saw, and palm sander for christmas so know im going to be using thoughs things for the next box i build this spring.

hmmm, so are yall going against table saws? and recomending a circular saw or some other type of saw? What ever i choose, i just want to make sure my cuts are as accurate as can be. And if a table saw isnt the way to go, then could someone give me a link to a better alternative?

A GOOD large table saw is excellent. I mean my neighbor's in his shop (10,000 sq. ft. woodworking shop, industrial table say...permanent mounted)....it's excellent. Most perfect cuts i've ever had!! (one time he was 1/64th over...and asked if i minded...lol). But just don't cheap out...it's definitely tough to cut 4'x8' sheets on a portable one (if not impossible). And i guess i'm spoiled b/c i own an extended bed truck...so i NEVER half or third my MDF, it's stupid to me b/c when i plan out boxes...i make th emost economical way to make the most out of a full sheet of mdf.

If you do get a table saw...make sure u get a good carbide blade, and a decently sturdy and large table. peace

NG

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

KARLEON

10+ year member
Livin' Legend
KARLEON
Chattanooga, TN
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date