Test tone frequencies

Participant count
  • Participant list

ejschultz
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Veteran
What test tone frequencies are best for setting the gains on a mono and a 4 channel amp? I was told to go at about 50 Hz for the mono and about 1000 Hz for the 4 channel. I ordered a new DMM last night that has a peak of 1000 Hz when measuring AC voltage. Most under $50 only go up to about 400 Hz. Basically, I'd like to know if there are other recommended frequencies for setting gains and to what attenuation do you recommend I set the test tones?

Naww dude, you play the test tone in your cd player...it's like an MP3 you burn to a cd. Then you measure the voltage with your DMM. It's usually like less than 100 volts...

This guy^^^^

dale-marshall-idiot.jpg

Naww dude, you play the test tone in your cd player...it's like an MP3 you burn to a cd. Then you measure the voltage with your DMM. It's usually like less than 100 volts...
I know all about test tones and how to make them. I burn them to CDs in the WAV format to make sure the attenuation is accurate. I don't plan on measuring any voltages above 40 VAC. However, if I were to use a 1000 Hz test tone for my 4 channel, I'd be measuring 16.73 VAC for my Focals. That 16.73 VAC would have a frequency (because all AC voltages have a frequency) of 1000 Hz or whatever the test tone may be. I'm not sure if I will get an accurate voltage reading at the top of the meter's limit for frequency. Would a slightly lower frequency (800 Hz or so) suffice?

This guy^^^^
dale-marshall-idiot.jpg
Nice avatar faggot

I know all about test tones and how to make them. I burn them to CDs in the WAV format to make sure the attenuation is accurate. I don't plan on measuring any voltages above 40 VAC. However, if I were to use a 1000 Hz test tone for my 4 channel, I'd be measuring 16.73 VAC for my Focals. That 16.73 VAC would have a frequency (because all AC voltages have a frequency) of 1000 Hz or whatever the test tone may be. I'm not sure if I will get an accurate voltage reading at the top of the meter's limit for frequency. Would a slightly lower frequency (800 Hz or so) suffice?
Ah, I misunderstood what you were asking. That's a good question, I've never run into this problem before because my front stage was a lot louder than my sub stage so I had to keep the gain set fairly low to equalize them...So basically, I dunno, wait for someone with more knowledge //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Or just set them by ear, it's easier to do with front stage because you can hear distortion easier.

i would try to get a -6db tone since thats what music is usually at. and head unit volume at whatever you listen to it usually around 3/4 volume and the freqs you have are correct

Nice avatar faggot

Ah, I misunderstood what you were asking. That's a good question, I've never run into this problem before because my front stage was a lot louder than my sub stage so I had to keep the gain set fairly low to equalize them...So basically, I dunno, wait for someone with more knowledge //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Or just set them by ear, it's easier to do with front stage because you can hear distortion easier.
I've got them set by ear right now, but I think if I do it properly, I can get my system running more efficiently and with 0 clipping. I've got the levels turned down on the HU for the front and rear speakers. I'm planning on being able to get the gains turned lower than where they are by raising the levels back up to 0 dB on the HU. Also, I'm not 100% sure, but I think I read somewhere that the 800PRS has non clipping pre outs on it. I'll be setting the gains with the volume at about 45/62 just to be safe.

i would try to get a -6db tone since thats what music is usually at. and head unit volume at whatever you listen to it usually around 3/4 volume and the freqs you have are correct
I'm probably going to do 0 dB first, then -3 dB, then , -6 dB if I don't like the other attenuations.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.