subwoofer smell

4:20_all_day
10+ year member

so i'm underpowering my kicker compvr 12's by about 50 watts each... (rated at 400rms, and i'm sending them about 325-350 obviously approximately) but i just bought two new ones cuz i tore the voicecoils out of the old ones. Now i hear people say they're easily overpowering these subs by 100 watts each. My problem is the new ones give out a foul smell like burning something when i turn them up to about halfway on the bass line driver. am i damaging the voicecoils? or am i just burning away the manufacturing oils...? i don't understand why i'd be damaging the voicecoils cuz i'm feeding them clean watts.....

Alot of time on new subs you have to burn up all the extra stuff left on the voice coil by the manufacturer. Like on my SExxx's there was some wang dust on there that burned up.

if the smell is a burning smell i would probably turn it down a bit. My friend and i had a 12 inch kicker l5 ported (we got fore $25)with 500watts rms and smoked it in 30 minutes. Car smelled like **** for a couple days.

Alot of time on new subs you have to burn up all the extra stuff left on the voice coil by the manufacturer. Like on my SExxx's there was some wang dust on there that burned up.
no.. NOO!! don't burn up the wang dust! that stuff's valuable.

abe m.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.