Ssa 18 xcon

Participant count
  • Participant list

jordon

CarAudio.com Elite
So putting a SSA xcon 18 in a tahoe. Don't have much experience with ssa personally so what kind of box do you think would work best. He just wants to move air. I was think 7 cubic feet tuned to 28. Not sure on port area. I was thinking a slot port across the bottom of the box also.

So putting a SSA xcon 18 in a tahoe. Don't have much experience with ssa personally so what kind of box do you think would work best. He just wants to move air. I was think 7 cubic feet tuned to 28. Not sure on port area. I was thinking a slot port across the bottom of the box also.
keep port area low if you want to move air. my zcon had a lot of port area and got loud all around but it was far from a wind tunnel. try a square or rectangle port on the bottom with extensions if needed

keep port area low if you want to move air. my zcon had a lot of port area and got loud all around but it was far from a wind tunnel. try a square or rectangle port on the bottom with extensions if needed
Like 12 square inches per cubic inch? Slot port btw

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Like 12 square inches per cubic inch? Slot port btw
12-13 is okay.

rectangle/square port is more efficient and you can make extension and play around with tuning for best results. Slot port, you are stuck with it and have to rebuild the whole box if he feels its tuned too low or not low enough.

Well i was planning it to be like a long port all the way across the bottom. But if you think a square port would have better results I could try it.

Well i was planning it to be like a long port all the way across the bottom. But if you think a square port would have better results I could try it.

Its not just me thinking that its more efficient, its a fact that square-ish ports are more efficient than slot. What makes a port more efficient? Why are aeroport and square ports more efficient than slot? Easy its because you have a lot less surface area which which air makes contact with which translate to less friction and minimize turbulence.

formula for surface area for a rectangular prism is A=2(WL+HL+HW)

For example your port is a slot port thats 30 inches wide, 4 inches high and length is 20 inches, which is around 120 sq inches of port area this is the calculation for surface area

Surface Area = 2×(20×30 + 20×4 + 30×4) = 1600 feet^2

Now with 120 sq inches of port area in mind, lets try different numbers and making it more closer to a true square.

Height 10, width 12 with the same length of 20.

Surface Area = 2×(20×12 + 20×10 + 12×10) = 1120 feet^2

Same the same 120 sq inches of port but much more efficient due to less surface area.

now combine efficiency with how easy it is to make an adjustable/removable port for these type of ports, its a no brainer.

I feel that is on the low side for port area for an Xcon. I prefer to guide most people around the 14.75 - 15.25 square inches of port per cube depending on their power and needs.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.