SPR-176A ... how are they?

Rurockn
10+ year member

IL
I'm curious how the Alpine R components sound, SPR-176A's, I know someone who bought a set and cannot use them because they interfere with something in their door; so they are willing to sell them for $130. Are they worth the $130? I'm running 50wrms w/Alpine 9830 head unit and a single older model 12" Rockford Power. I currently have 5 year old Vega components... so I'm assuming the Alpine's are much better, but are they worth it?

Thanks

$130 is a decent deal for them. It will certainly be an upgrade, but it's not worth it if you're just going to power them with your HU (which, btw, only puts out 18 watts RMS).

I think they're way worth it. I heard those, the jl xr 650-csi, and the kenwood exelon dual mag (don't know the model) and the Alpine's rocked. I went in there thinking it was between the jl's and the kenwoods but the Alpines won me over. More bass than both and the high's were nice. I paid alot more by the way. That ******. Just make sure you run them with an amp or you'll be disappointed.

The xr's are better? I didn't think they sounded that great. I actually thought they sounded worse than the alpines. What makes them better? Just curious.

Cool, that thing about the HU makes sense and I don't remember what was driving what. I did get the same amp that was pushing the alpines though so I know I'll like the way they sound. You're right about the personal preference thing too. I do like the way the Alpine sound with both rap and rock.( I listened to Mudvayne and Lil flip at the shop)

I've had the Type R's for almost 2 years now. Very, very solid midbass. However, the XR mid is much smoother and graceful, especially in the 2k and up region. The Type R tweeter, as Jmac noted, is lacking. Terribly sibilant, unspectacular extension, and they don't "meet" the mid that well...like they were LP'd a bit too high. Overall, for those who like to 'street beat", they are pretty good. If you like a silky smooth tweeter with better than average extension, look elsewhere. My ears are currently shopping for replacements...

I've never heard the Kenwoods (I've given up on them, sorry //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif ), so I'll reserve opinion.

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/toast.gif.bc0657bf54b9ee653b6438524461341e.gif

I think I read about the crossover points on the type-r's being crappy. Someone made their own crossovers for them, but that's way above my head. I dig the speakers though. (Secretly wanted MB Quarts but couldn't find them!)

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

Rurockn

10+ year member
Rurockn
IL
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from