Spend my $2,000 and make me happy

I've never been happy in the past with the various $500-800 subwoofer/amp setups I have had with a single 12" sealed box woofer in my trunk so now I'm finally gonna throw some cash at it and see if I'm happy.

Please tell me how you think I should spend my money!

I have around $1800-2000 to spend on subwoofers and an amp for my 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland. I plan to remove the spare tire and use the tire well as a home for the sub enclosure. My plan is to make a box myself to save costs.

Here's what I think I'd like:

SQL Sub(s) that will best utilize my space and fit in a box with exterior dimensions no larger than 31"x31"x11" (depth is limited) (that is the box size only, I have accounted for an additional 1-2" height for the driver surround)

At this point I'm thinking of going with two 12s but feel free to make recommendations. When I go to the store and listen to a single 10" vs a single 12" sub in a small prefab ported enclosure the 12s always sound better to me.

I want the sub to be primarily geared for daily use and music (SQ). I am not entering competitions. SPL is secondary to SQ but I do want it to be loud so I was planning to go w a ported box. I listen to pretty much everything from electronic to rock and country...

I was planning to push the subs with a total of 2,000 or 3,000 watts RMS (Sundown Audio SVC2000D or SVC3000D or similar). Whatever is necessary to push them correctly... (I am buying the amp at the same time)

I was thinking of going with a pair of Sundown Audio 12" Zv3s but feel free to recommend other companies or options. I am new to the higher-end sub market and don't know much other than I've never really been satisfied with the cheaper setups I have had in other small sealed boxes. If something else is better geared towards SQL than Sundown Audio please share your thoughts. I would like whatever provides the best value and performance for my taste, budget and space.

I think I've given you all the info you need. If I left anything out please let me know. Thanks for the help!

I threw together some rough box specs and got 3.3 cubes ported with sub displacement, double baffle, and a bottom center port accounted for (that tends to work best in SUVs). So you'd need a sub that will work well in a small enclosure if you still want to do 2 12s. If you'd like to see the design let me know and I can PM it to you.

I actually have SounDrive subs coming soon that were designed around daily listening and efficiency, so that sounds perfect for what you're doing. Price point should be around $325-350 each for a 2000w conservative rated subwoofer. That leaves $1300-1350 for an amp.

The Audio Legion 5k's we sell would be a perfect match wired at .5 for $899.95, or something like the new and improved Taramp's HD8k EX that is coming soon for right under $800 would be a perfect fit at 1 or 2 ohm. After rise you could expect about 4-5k clamped power, plus the taramp's come with a clip light so you know when you're getting a little too happy with the volume knob.

All in all, the sundown isn't a bad choice, it's just an expensive choice when other options will perform just as well.

This can of course be scaled down to something with less output too - perhaps a single 15 ported on half the power

doesnt matter what you do, custom designed ported will be the determining factor of how your setup will sound. UNLESS you want to go with one of the best SQL subs out there. With your space, you can fit an SSA Xcon 18 sealed which will sound good and still give you loads of output. Whatever subs you thought you though sounded decent at the store can not even hold a candle to these subs.

http://store.soundsolutionsaudio.com/products/xcon-18-sound-solutions-audio-18-1750w-xcon-series-subwoofer.html

double baffle, no port, .25 sub displacement accounted for, just plain sealed will give you 4.15 cubes, just add some polyfil and that sub should work well in that space. Basically a little bit more cone area than two 12s but should play music very well down low and up top. Get a 2500-3000 rms amp and you should be good to go. Yes they can easily take that much power if its clean.

Or an SSA Xcon 10 in a T line. If you havent heard, T lines enclosures are the Shizznt!!!! for SQL Punchy bass, deep bass, it plays it all flawlessly and gets loud too.

I'd do 2 10s in that space. 2 that come to mind for your goals; SSA icon and image dynamics idmax. Both will be fine on either 2 or 3k

I second going over to soundsolutionsaudio.com. With your budget, you're bound to find something over there, or FI audio. And which ever brand you decide, do not use a prefab box, much better off with a box built to suit the needs of your particular sub/s.

Just give me the $2000 would make me happy //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Well....I ran 3k @.5 on stock alt for 4 years. Never had an issue. Xs1200 up front and 3400 in rear. But.... I fully knew the chances I was taking. And I bought the m3 for that reason.

That being said, a 2k is probably safe on big 3 and a big battery like a 3100, but any more than that, I'd reccomend an alt. And honestly, with 2000$ budget, there is no reason to skimp on electrical.

Thanks a lot for the help guys. Sounds like everyone has different opinions. I had never considered a sealed 18". I guess I didn't think it would fit in a box that is only 11" tall. And I've never even heard an 18" woofer in a car lol!

It sounds like everyone agrees that I should spend less on the drivers and more on the amp. I was planning to go somewhere around the 50/50 ratio but I will consider leaning more in the amp direction...

I had planned to add a battery OR alternator to get started. I had around $300 figured in for electrical outside of the budget mentioned. If I need both an alternator AND battery then I'll need to stay closer to $1500 for the sub(s) and amp in order to leave money for the alternator (or I could wait and get the alternator later). I am also planning to run the JL Audio XD800/8v2 so that will add some load. With my Jeep and 2000 + 800 watts do you think I'll need the battery and alt? I am guessing I will definitely need it for 3000 + 800...

I think I really need to go hear some more systems to decide what sound/configuration I like. But please don't stop making recommendations. I like hearing them so I consider all options.

Three people mentioned SSA subwoofers. Do many consider them the best balance of quality and value? Do they have a decent track record for service and warranty?

if you want a real 2-3kw rms output then you'll need a second battery or a HO alt. ideally both. you can buy agm's cheap, only about $90 each, you'll just have to figure out where to put it. i drop to 13 at idle with a soft clip and im on about the same power as you but i have two alternators and two batteries

you should be able to fit the battery and alternator in your $2000 budget if you save money on the enclosure by building it yourself, and save money on subs by doing the single driver setup jeff mentioned

So for an SUV I was planning on placing the sub enclosure in the spare tire well and firing the sub upwards. For my car I still need the cargo space so this would mean I need to put something over the box and driver so I still have a cargo floor. I thought I would just build the box to fill the spare tire well and then put some type of rubber "feet" or "spacers" on the top of the box so the factory tire well cover (cargo floor piece) could just sit on top of the box. I would leave a couple inches of clearance room for the driver to fire into the under side of the tire well cover. Since the tire well cover will be elevated several inches from it's factory position I figure there will be plenty of space for the sound waves to radiate out into the cabin around the sides.

Does this sound like a good idea? Have you known people to do this with good results? Is it OK to fire them upwards into the bottom of the tire well cover (cargo floor) a couple inches away?

Last edited by a moderator:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.