So I had to get a new H/U.......

Participant count
  • Participant list

Tonyguy
10+ year member

Welcome to Thunderdome
I was getting my hertz installed with my A5 and my 880prs, and come to find out that my HU suffers from the dreaded RCA Ground problem. I was getting them installed at a local shop owned by a friend, since I'm too lazy and impatient to do it myself. When he finishes, he calls me up and tells me about the noise. I go in today to take a listen and it drives me crazy within 5 Mins. So i decide that a couple of days or weeks is too long to wait for the 880 to get repaired. So i chose to get a new radio and just sell the 880. I was stuck between an Alpine cda-9885 and Kenwood Excelon kdc-x791. Eventually, I choose the kenwood and i'm glad I did. After all is said and done, I got the new 791, Hertz HSK 165, 24 sq. ft. of Dynamat Xtreme in the two front doors, and my A5 pushin them with no rear fill. BOY DOES IT SOUND AWESOME!! I love the way they sound. The kenwood works awesome, and the Hertz sound spectacular! I will have pics tomorrow in the daylight.

I had the Pioneer 880PRS, for about 4 months. I started to loose interest in it and took the leap into Kenwood land. I've never really a Kenwood car stereo fan. I like their speakers and amps. I sold my 880PRS and bought the Kenwood KDC-791. Man that was the best move I've made. I've always been a Pioneer man, since the mid 80's. So, this took a lot for me to jump. I have not been disappointed!! I'm sold on Kenwood now, but at this level and above. I've experimented with the lower levels and was not impressed at all. I've bought some Polk audio comps, to put in the front/ 6x9's in the rear/ 10" sub in the trunk. And this has been the most I have been content since I was a teenager, I'm 40 now. So, kudo's to Kenwood car stereo's.

Kenwood, in recent years, has made great strides in trying to earn back the market share they lost due in large part to the debacle over the infamous D-Mask+ faceplate mechanism which proved so problematic for entirely too many users.

Since the discontinuation of that particular design, though, the eXcelons keep getting better and better.

Even though I am a die-hard, loyal eXcelon fanatic I'll happily admit to there being definite room for improvement. A more involved EQ and the ability to run an active front stage directly from the HU without the need for outboard processing would be a great place to start IMO.

Barring that, however, I'm still going to continue to be loyal to Kenwood's eXcelon headunits while still hoping that the afore-mentioned suggestions will be heard and taken to heart by the powers-that-be at KenwoodUSA.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

Tonyguy

10+ year member
Welcome to Thunderdome
Tonyguy
Chicagoland-NW Indiana
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date