Slope?

Participant count
  • Participant list

djeazie
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
n.w. ohio
Can someone point me in the direction of a how-to about slope settings and what its all about or explain it to me. I keep fiddling with my settings on my 7800 and its sounding better and better but I just wanna know what it all does and what it means. THNX

slope is simply how sharp of a decrease your music will experience beyond its crossover point, say you have a crossover at 50hz with a 12db/octave slope, therefore, starting at 50hz the music starts to cut off and by 25hz it is 12db queiter....same with a 6db, 18db, 24db etc etc, the higher the number the quicker the sound will roll off

Pretty much what he said. Just an FYI when it says something like 12db/oct. say your xover point is 1000hz, well one octave below that is 500 hz (cut it in half) at that point it'll be 12dbs quieter. For knowledge sake, an octave above 1000hz would be 2000hz (double it), this is the case for any frequency, it's just something that is good to know //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Basically what im learning is, you can have all the really expensive nice equipment but if you dont know how to use it, its no good.

Basically what im learning is, you can have all the really expensive nice equipment but if you dont know how to use it, its no good.
Bingo.

I've known a few people that will stroll into a best buy or circuit city and easily blow $2000+ for a system they think is the bee's knees, but really sounds like absolute crap to a set of experienced ears because they know next to nothing about equipment, installation, and tuning.... even the simple things like what an octave is or what a crossover slope is and how it affects certain aspects of the output signal.

Take the Pioneer DEH-P980BT HU for example.... it has a 16 band EQ built in with the following frequency attenuation points:

20, 31.5, 50, 80, 125, 200, 315, 500, 800, 1.25k, 2k, 3.15k, 5k, 8k, 12.5k, and 20k with the ability to set each in a range of + or - 12dB. That's pretty impressive for a HU in my book.

Glad you are learning... and never stop doing so!

I thought I knew alot before I found this site (that is sad). I had no idea how much info and also all of the great non-main stream products there are out there. I am still learning and the equipment is all starting to come together now. Just yesterday I was messin around and changed my slope from -6 to -12 at 63hz on my subs, what a difference! Sounds cleaner and more like it supposed to? I want to get new subs and get rid of these crappy Kenwoods and find more of an sq set of subs.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.