Sealing 6.5s to doors

Participant count
  • Participant list
To make the speaker-to-metal/plastic connection airtight I use rope caulk, or I have laid deadener over the joint as an alternative. Rope caulk is found in the same area of a store as weather strip foam, and it's very cheap. Instead of using weather stripping behind the speaker I would get some of the foam that's thick enough to form a gasket between the outer edge of the speaker basket and the door panel. You're basically building a tunnel to direct the sound through the grille.

Wouldn't sealing the door....technically be a bad idea. Doors are made to have some ventilation and purposely have weep holes to help get rid of water and moisture that enters the door. If you care about the car and it's longeavity/resales value. I would try to seal the speakers within the door...vs sealing the door completely. Probably much difficult to do this, but nothing that a little fiberglass fabrication cannot solve.

This is just my opinion....and knowing that doors on cars do not want to be sealed...just the speakers want to be sealed. Does that make sense? haha/.

Wouldn't sealing the door....technically be a bad idea. Doors are made to have some ventilation and purposely have weep holes to help get rid of water and moisture that enters the door. If you care about the car and it's longeavity/resales value. I would try to seal the speakers within the door...vs sealing the door completely. Probably much difficult to do this, but nothing that a little fiberglass fabrication cannot solve.

This is just my opinion....and knowing that doors on cars do not want to be sealed...just the speakers want to be sealed. Does that make sense? haha/.

we are talking about covering the large access holes that cause midbass to be cancelled. we don't cover up the weep holes in the bottom of the door since they have no issue acoustically.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.