sad excuse of a "bench test" by local "car audio shop" ... LOL

bostonkid92
10+ year member

okay, so I got a used amp a while back and today I took it in to the shop down the street. first mistake. i asked if i could watch them bench test it since I was curious what equipment they used and also because I didn't trust them alone with something expensive of mine. we went into the back. the guy doing it was nice but he didn't seem like he knew much about this stuff. I asked him if he was going to use an oscilloscope or a multimeter and he just shook his head... after he finally got everything hooked up, he turned his head unit on and the low voltage light started to come on on the amp. then, the head unit just started to cut on and off. i almost wanted to get my amp back and run LOL. he then started turning the settings on the amp carelessly. all he did was power the amp up and powered a junk sub with it. i could have done that. when we got back in the office, he charged me $15. this will be the last time i come here.

i know it seems like i'm just ranting about this place but i'm just putting it out there to any other noobs like me. DO NOT take your stuff to some hole in the wall place. you paid good money for your stuff so do your research before you let anyone touch your stuff. i know i am farrrr from an expert but i thought i'd put it out there for anybody that's looking to get their stuff checked out.

when it comes to my girlfriend getting screwed over, i go all out but idk, it seemed like he just started there. i was waiting for the amp to go up in smoke so i could be like, well, now what lol

---------- Post added at 01:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:21 PM ----------

and $15 is cheap for a lesson learned. next time, i'll do it all myself like i should have done in the first place

i know lol he didn't seem to know what a dmm or o scope was. honestly, i really just wanted to see how the test bench was set up so i could set up my own. i could be way off but it seems like all there is to it is battery, way to charge battery, speakers, head unit, sub, amp and wiring, pretty simple. you don't need an in line fuse or something to substitute an alternator do you?

they are basic depending on what you are testing for.

If you are testing for functionality, then it can be very very basic. If you want to test rms or anything, it can start to get a bit more complicated and costly.

just more than what i got. i'd really like to learn more about car audio so just the fact that all he did was power it on and that he didn't know much about car audio kind of disappointed me. i don't want to ask a thousand questions on here and annoy everyone

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

bostonkid92

10+ year member
bostonkid92
Boston, MA
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from