Retail or Online

Participant count
  • Participant list

2ndroundko
10+ year member

I am still pretty new to car audio and it's components, prices, and the quality of various brands. Yesterday I went to a local stereo shop and was told by the owner that buying online isn't as great as it sounds, saying that warranties are limited by9 available stock, or an out of stock item automatically being replaced by a item in stock of a similar price. When asked about Audioque products he said he had never heard of them in 24 years of business. So what I want to know from you guys is do you prefer to buy online or in a store with a 2 year warranty?

Audioque is an online company, so it would make sense that your dealer has never heard of them. However, that does not make them bad. There are bad online businesses and good ones. Just gotta find the right one.

A local dealer would be great though if you run into problems with your equipment since they're not far from you. And the same goes for local retailers, there are good ones and there are bad ones.

I prefer online retailers personally.

I do all of my own installs, and they ship to my door.

You will usually spend less online, then you will at a retail store. Online sellers do not have as much overhead as your standard shop.

The thing I will recommend though is buy from an "Authorized" online dealer.

That means if you want lets say....Sundown Audio or DC Audio subwoofers....you will find an online seller that is authorized by that company to sell their products. This will help with warranty issues.

Another idea is to find an online seller and a retail seller that have the same product you want. For example....lets use the same as above.

You want Sundown Audio or DC Audio subwoofers. Find a local retail shop that sells those products. Then buy them from an online seller.

If you ever have questions that needed answered, you could ask on the forums or you could drive down the the local shop and ask there.

Since they sell the product..they have or should have decent knowledge of it. You could even have them install or service the product.

Speaking in generalities, local dealers have higher pricing. Though it is not for no reason. They have to turn a profit to stay in business, they have convenience of location, lack of competition in comparison to online.

Some local stores will carry none of the online merchandise you can find listed throughout this forum. Some will. In my experience the larger the shop, the less likely this will be.

Local stores will also be more willing to help you with their product over a product purchased elsewhere.

I purchase most of my items online to maximize my money. They ship it straight to me, and I perform the necessary installations myyself. Though I do try to support B&M shops when I can see fit.

There is some truth in what he is telling you, about online retailers , but there are good and bad, but there are also good and bad with B&M stores , even ones with 24 years experience, just because they own or work in a shop so they must know what they are talking about way of thinking, doesn't really work in mobile electronics, I have know guys that have had shops for 20+ years that are idoits and pretty much have always been complete idoits.

It really comes down to Customer service and how comfortable you feel about who you give your money to, but be sure to ask this guy about his warranty on his products.

And it is not suprising he has never heard of AQ, alot of guys that have been around that long don't really keep up with the happenings in the current market place, I have had some that still think RF still designs and builds there own gear all by themselves, and would tell you Atomic, DD ,IA and Sundown is cheap or junk.

I guess what it comes down to is what is more important to you. Service or savings for me I rather save money and install my own stuff that way I know I have what I want how I want it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.