removing cone glue

Relax
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
MN
Reconing a pair of RF's. Can't seem to get the glue off of the basket. I don't have a grinder unfortunately. Acetone, goo gone, hammer/chissel don't seem to work very well. Any suggestions?

if you are rebuilding a sub, i have found that it is easier to use a 4" side grinder to grind off all the old spyder & old surround. it also roughs up the spyder landing & basket so the glue bonds better. it also helps to cut a ring out of mdf to clamp the surround down. hope this helps.

I've seen others just add weight to the center of the cone during the curing process. This doesn't make a ton of sense to me but apparently it works.

they are using weight on the cone for the spiders or dust cap. i use plastic cloths pins to clamp the spider down. to clamp the surrond down i cut a piece of 4 gauge wire to go all the way around then cloths pin clips. for the dust cap a roll of tape then put a lil weight on it..

aircraft remover
this is the only really good method of getting of epoxy/ca glue off a basket without grinding. Its a nasty way of doing it, and you have to use alumnium tape to cover the gap up while you paint on the Aircraft Stripper Gel because it's the only tape ive found that can survive the Stripper Gel. The gel is also water soluable so all you have to do is scrape a bit and use water to clean it all off. But be careful, the stripper gel will burn your hands so use gloves or wash your hands alot.

good luck

Ok so i actually just spent about 3-4 hours with a can of acetone, a flathead screwdriver/hammer, and some 60/100 grit sandpaper. got it all off despite some small injuries and black hands. got the cones in place and letting them cure over night. will test out tomorrow. omg. not worth it without a grinder/dremel at hand. the cones i found were only 30.00/ea so it evened out in the end.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.