Re-vamping my bass, which is better?

My current setup is modest and I enjoy the bass I get from it. But now I want something...deeper. Something that will knock louder than what I've already got. I'm not exactly looking for raw sound, meaning I'm not focused on just volume, I want there to be good quality as well. I've known about the popular brands for a while (JL, Rockford Fosgate, MTX, Kicker) but just recently on this site I was introduced to a few more (DD, Treo, DC, Obsidian). And I'm willing to bet there are a ton of others I still don't know about. I'm looking to get one subwoofer that I will put in a slotted box. I will also need an amp for that sub. I can't afford a lvl 9 DC or a JL W7...my price range is about $250 for just the sub. I was interested in the Fosgate P3's and DD Audio's 1500 series. But I honestly don't know what to look for. Which of these 2 is better? And for $250 could I get something even better?

My first sub was an FI Q 15 and it was pretty satisfying even in a sealed box. The sound quality was great as well as output. But we need to know how much power you want to run in order to design a system

Well I have a stock alternator and a stock battery, they are both brand new but they aren't high performance or anything...I thought the power depended on the subs??? But I'm looking for something louder than what I've already got and currently I have 2 12" MTX Terminators (The TN212D package) with an MTX 1000.1D mono amp. So I guess I'm looking to run anyhwere from 250-1,200 watts. Whatever would knock louder and deeper!

if you want to get louder than 1k you most likely will need at least 1 extra battery at the back, what is your budget on the amp?

going from 1k to 1200w might not make that big of a difference. i suggest to go around 1800-2k

if you want to get louder than 1k you most likely will need at least 1 extra battery at the back, what is your budget on the amp?
going from 1k to 1200w might not make that big of a difference. i suggest to go around 1800-2k
How would I go about putting a battery in the back? And I'm going from 2 MTX subs to 1 (better brand???), wouldn't that also make a difference?

So I have decided on my new system...well as long as this idea will work. Could I get 2 Obsidian 15" subs and put them in a dual slotted box with a 1000 watt amp? And if so which would I want, the dual 2 ohm configuration or the dual 4 ohm? And lastly which type of amp would drive these subs well? I found out yesterday that I actually have a 500 watt amp, so I am now convinced I have no idea what I'm doing, and also 100 watts would be a good upgrade for me.

So I have decided on my new system...well as long as this idea will work. Could I get 2 Obsidian 15" subs and put them in a dual slotted box with a 1000 watt amp? And if so which would I want, the dual 2 ohm configuration or the dual 4 ohm? And lastly which type of amp would drive these subs well? I found out yesterday that I actually have a 500 watt amp, so I am now convinced I have no idea what I'm doing, and also 100 watts would be a good upgrade for me.
Do you know that you have the necessary airspace available to fit two 15s? you must look at the manufacturers recomendations. you Will know what coil configurations you need for your subs when you decide on an amp, because amps are only stable to a certain minimum impedance load. If your running 500 watts rms a nice 1000 watts with more cone area will be a huge improvement for you

If you're getting two subs, you'll want dual 4 ohm subs. You'll wire them like this for a 1 ohm load:

dualDVC4ohmto1ohm.jpg

You'll want an amp that puts out around 1000-1500w for the pair of Obsidians. Also get a custom box made (or buy a design and build it yourself) for them to maximize the output and quality of the sound. Prefab boxes are usually complete trash. Depending on your budget, we can suggest amps for you. Personally I'd suggest a PPI Black Ice amp for a lower budget and something like a SAZ1200 or Soundqubed 1200 for a larger budget.

And like mentioned earlier, can you fit a ported box for two 15s? What do you drive?

I agree... more cone area if you can fit it. You might even be satisfied with new 15's in a custom ported box on the same amp.. I'd get some subs that can handle some good amount of power in case you want to change the amp though.

Well I have a 2000 Ford Taurus and my trunk is pretty big so I think I can handle 2 15". My original budget was 250 for the sub and 200 for the amp, but now I'm going to be spending 320 on the 2 15" Obsidian and I can afford to spend another 200 on an amp. I am getting these subs to upgrade so I definitely want a new amp. With these 2 15"'s what would you recommend?

So I just deposited my check and I'm buying the system tomorrow! I'm getting the two 15" Obsidian's with a BK1300.1D PP amp. The only piece I'm missing is the slotted box....I don't know where to get one made custom. And even if I find a prefab box with the correct measurements, it wouldn't be any good? And lastly will I need to upgrade anything electrical to run 1,300 watts? As it is right now my lights dim a bit when real loud bass hits...

Last edited by a moderator:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.