rca splitter or amp output??

Participant count
  • Participant list
Gonna be 2amps 2subs
If the subs are the same and the amps are strappable, you'll have a much easier time setting them up if they're strapped, because the master will control the slave. This means that crossover and gain settings will be identical.

If they're not strappable and the subs are in the same volume of air, then gain setting becomes a problem.

Which amp brand and model are they?

If the subs are the same and the amps are strappable, you'll have a much easier time setting them up if they're strapped, because the master will control the slave. This means that crossover and gain settings will be identical.
If they're not strappable and the subs are in the same volume of air, then gain setting becomes a problem.

Which amp brand and model are they?
understanding that strapping amps will raise the power at a higher impedance....probably not what he wants...gain matching two amps is pretty easy to do with a DMM...only takes a dmm, 50Hz tone, flat head screwdriver and about 2 minutes....if the subs are in a common chamber box then gain matching the amps is a must!!!

OP...to answer your actual question...I run two different rca cables for the amps and go into a single rca level control using y-adapters. I have seen too many outputs from amp go bad or just not work. choice is up to you.

understanding that strapping amps will raise the power at a higher impedance....probably not what he wants...gain matching two amps is pretty easy to do with a DMM...only takes a dmm, 50Hz tone, flat head screwdriver and about 2 minutes....if the subs are in a common chamber box then gain matching the amps is a must!!!

OP...to answer your actual question...I run two different rca cables for the amps and go into a single rca level control using y-adapters. I have seen too many outputs from amp go bad or just not work. choice is up to you.
It doesn't raise the power at a higher impedance. If you have two subs presenting two 1Ω loads to two amps and you strap the amps, each amp still sees 1Ω. In fact, strapping changes nothing about the impedance loads on the amps, regardless of what they are, when there are an even number of subs being driven.

It doesn't raise the power at a higher impedance. If you have two subs presenting two 1Ω loads to two amps and you strap the amps, each amp still sees 1Ω. In fact, strapping changes nothing about the impedance loads on the amps, regardless of what they are, when there are an even number of subs being driven.

look into what you are telling him to do...you are saying to sync his amp not strap his amp. "strapping" amps together will take two 2000w amps at 1ohm and "strapped" together will give you 4000w at 2ohm....

"syncing" amps will give you the ability to control tuning with one amp as long the amps can be synced together. master/slave...

READ THIS: via ChevyBoy95 on smd forums..

strapping is when you wire two amplifiers together (generally have a connection cable specifically for this) to achieve the power of both amps together. It essentially turns 2 amps into 1 big amp. You use the master amplifiers (amp 1) settings to control the slave amp (amp 2). Instead of wiring each amp separately at 1 ohm each, you generally will wire the subs to 2 ohms strapped... this will result in each amp seeing 1 ohm. When strapped you dont necessarily gain or loose power either. Strapping is almost like bridging channels, but instead you are bridging amplifiers.

2 2000w amps not strapped (1 ohm each) = 4000w

2 2000w amps strapped (2 ohm) = 4000w

I do not want to hi-jack anymore of this guys thread....look into "strapping amps" and see if its good for you. not for me at all and is not easier IMO.

do you plan on upgrading to a single bigger amp in the future? if so then run only one rca and us the output from the first amp to go to the second amp. if you are not going to upgrade to a single bigger amp, use two rca cables and y-adapt at the radio.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.