Rca failure

Participant count
  • Participant list

lifesproduct
10+ year member

What causes an amplifiers Rca inputs to fail? I have a hard headed buddy that has messed up the inputs on 2 different hifonics amps. I have a feeling it is user related, but I have never seen someone have so many issues with the rcas before. Thanks in advance

His first was diagnosed from the shop he bought it from. The 2nd will play normally if you toy with the inputs on the amp. We have also replaced rcas, swapped head units, and check all connections in and out of the box

Most common failures are due to mechanical stress and vibration. Most RCA jacks are PCB mounted and not mechanically anchored to the chassis itself. So it is just the solder and circuit board pads that hold them in place.

If you push too hard on the RCA you can lift a pad or crack a trace.

If the amp and RCA cable are not mounted solidly together then over time vibration can pop a pad or crack a trace as well.

So 1) Do not push too hard when making connections and 2) anchor cable to amp and amp to car very well.

Less common is an electrical failure due to ground currents flowing through the RCA shield connection due to the amp, head-unit or other device in the chain not being properly grounded.

Crappy cables would be another failure, but not really a failure of the amp input itself.

I think that just about covers it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.