RARE JVC Biphonic boombox/ghettoblaster

MANTI5
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Southern AZ
Item(s) for Sale:

Jvc Biphonic model 828JW

Item(s) Description/Condition:

This is a piece of history. Late 70's model that is much sought after by collectors. I don't know a lot about the specs of this exact model but this is close: Biphonic Sound System RC-828L Radio JVC - Victor Company I think the "JW" in the model number had to do with selectable power or something. Ok, condition: it needs some work. One antenna is broken towards the second "tier", the power switch is missing but can still be powered on and off, some switches need to be finessed to work just right, the left volume control doesn't seem to work well, I'm not sure if the speaker is blown or if there's a short, and the cassette door doesn't always open all the way on it's on, little spinners start to play tape but stops. It powers on, plays radio, lights up, has buttons/switches that do who knows what, no rust and a few dings/scratches. I emailed a repair shop to see about getting it restored and he said it could be, they charge $40 down which should cover it but would call me if it would be more before charging me. Only problem is they're not close by or I'd be there in a heartbeat. If no one wants it, I'll decide if I want the quick cash from ebay or take the time to get it restored. It has the power cord and battery cover, it was taken off for pics. If you have any questions, fire away and I'll answer to the best of my ability.

Price:

I've seen the 2nd gen version of this model go for around $100 not even working and missing the tweeter cover. Great condition/fully restored they have gone for $300 or more. I'm asking $125 shipped to cont us. Trades I'd like: decent used class d mono amp that does 500 or more @ 4ohms, used Deka9a34 or 9A78DT, new Knukonceptz 4channel amp kit. Might be open to similar things.

Shipping and Miscellaneous Item Information:

Included in the $125 or to be discussed on trade.

Item Pictures:

radio-1.jpg

radio-10.jpg

radio-2.jpg

radio-3.jpg

radio-4.jpg

radio-5.jpg

radio-6.jpg

radio-7.jpg

radio-8.jpg

radio-9.jpg

(List pictures in this section, 1st picture should be your username/date if you have less than 10 positive feedbacks with the i-Trader system or less than 10 references that you have sold to in the past. (These must be listed in your signature, or a link provided to a feedback thread listing these references)).

I never knew about these until recently. Some oldschooler came into my job (Best Buy, not sure what he was doing there, but he actually knew a thing or two). We got into a huge audio conversation. He looks at the decks in the wall and goes off on a tangent about JVC and how he can appreciate their ingenuity in the past. He mentioned one of these (no specific generation or anything, but just general info on them and what they could do such as beat cuts). I would love to take this off your hands, but the funds just won't be around for a while. GLWS!

I'll give it a day or 2 before I decide if it's going to ebay or restoration. It's just going to be a pain to schedule in a time to take it to the place and pick it up so I'd like to see it gone as is. Especially if someone is near a place that fixes radios or has the knowledge to do it themselves, this could be supremely cool.

nice,,,,,, Made in Japan was where all this stuff was made,JVC was the **** in the 80s

and it was GOOD quality unlike its china counter parts of today - I used to have the M70,pretty much the std boom box of its day

and sounded really good too........Id ebay it,collectors will pay more than the youngins on here

Believe me, I would like to but I have other things I need to get done that selling this would help with. It's up on "the bay" if anyone is interested. Got some watchers but no biters, if it doesn't sell it's off to restoration and the price goes way up.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...

About this thread

MANTI5

10+ year member
CarAudio.com Elite
MANTI5
Southern AZ
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies