BassAddictJ
5,000+ posts

CarAudio.com Veteran
FL
Item(s) for Sale:

Late 90's Earthquake 200DHC Mk1

Item(s) Description/Condition:

Underrated at 1600w rms @ 2ohms.

Many have clamped a good 1800w-2000w rms out of these mk1's. Alot of people claim the distortion on these EQ amps are bad, but unless you're running it under recommended ohm loads you wont be able to tell a difference between this or any other class d amp.

This amp has been around the forum a few times. It was owned by ge_off_me, spooney, pickup1. I recently did a trade with pickup1 for this amp. As much as I want to keep it for nostalgic reasons I'm not in a financial position to do so, so someone here can own a piece of car audio history.

From what I've read up there was the 200DHC mk1, 200DHC Mk2, and then the PHD2 (PHD2 is what most people are familiar with). The Mk2 and PHD2 are indentical internally, but with different cases. The Mk1's in my opinion are better built for daily and are part of the prime days of earthquake. The PHD2's are still great amps, but I'm sure most of you would agree a 1997 or 1998 eq amp > 2002 or 2003 eq amp... in terms of reliability and overall build quality.

This amp also has a nice little added cooling modification. Attached to the inside of the back panel are two fans. This mod was done by one of the previous owners, but it looks professionally done. In the pic the backplate is upside down to show the fans, the fans fit perfectly inside the amp with the backplate on the right way.

Price:

200 +ship OBO

You will not find this much reputable power any where else for this price. $200 bucks will almost always get your a mediocre asain built board that may or may not last. This is USA made and certainly built to last

...and thats aside from the fact you probably wont find another Mk1 again. These are VERY rare.

Not really looking for trades unless it's really in my favor.

Shipping and Miscellaneous Item Information:

USPS or Fedex

INSURED

Item Pictures:

P1180166.jpg

P1180145.jpg

P1180146.jpg

P1180148.jpg

P1180158.jpg

P1180159.jpg

P1180160.jpg

P1180162.jpg

P1180165.jpg

Ref's: Years of selling here, You're in good hands

Last edited by a moderator:
I did add those fans but the best thing I did for this amp is replace just about every electrolytic capacitor in the amp. The new caps are very high quality Panasonic fc series caps. The only electrolytic cap I did not replace was the brown one near the speaker inputs because it could not be sourced as it is a rare value bipolar cap. Nothing wrong with that cap though at all. All the new caps alone in this amp cost about 40 bucks and made a noticeable difference in the sound. As for the fans they are not powered directly off of the remote turn on lead. They are controlled by that small blue relay that is powered by the main power and ground inputs to the amp. When remote turn on voltage is applied it engages the relay and powers on the fans. I made the whole fan setup easily removable just in case anybody ever wanted to return it to stock but the fans keep this thing pretty cool. I recommend mounting it on spacers though to give the fans room to breathe. I also added new kapton insulation tape behind the fets and new heatsink compound while I had this apart. This thing should last somebody a very long time if ran at the proper ohm load and I am kicking myself for letting her go. Beastly little amp for sure. I am currently running its bigger brother (PHD2) in my car now.

Here is another little tidbit of info I should add. If you notice in the pics there is a 20 amp fuse on the inside of the amp near the speaker outputs. Previously this fuse was located on the underside of the board(soldered directly to it actually). This fuse is placed directly inline with the positive speaker output terminals. If you blow your sub this fuse should blow before any serious damage is done to the amplifier. Earthquake used to charge big bucks back in the day to fix peoples "blown" amps when all that was wrong with them was this fuse. Instead of having to pull the whole board to replace this fuse(which most people would never even know was there in the first place) I simply added some short wire leads and made this fuse accessible from the top side of the board should it ever need to be changed. Newer versions of the amp(200dhc mark2,PHD2,etc) all had this fuse in a fuse holder directly on the board for easy access so I thought this amp should have the same. Saves a lot of time and possibly a repair bill for big bucks from a shady amp tech should you nuke a sub with this old school beast.

And I really wish I could get this thing back from you but I am a bit short on the monies //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif . Good luck with your sale though man. Great amp here people!!

pm'd back. got someone interested in it. i dont see this being for sale much longer. thanks for all the interest and rich history behind this particular amp. really cool stuff.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.