Ramos! Let's Talk Bondo!

Omarvelous
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Queens, NY
Ok, u seem to know a lot about bondo.

I bought some Bondo Body Filler, from Bondo the company.

The instructions are.....sketchy to me.

They say for every 3 in diameter circle, 1/2 in thick of filler i should use 3 in stip of hardener?

Does this sound right?

Reason i ask is, it's a lot of filler for such a small amount of hardner.

And on a side note, just want to make sure.

-Bondo the imperfections

-Sand while hardening (Grit A)

-Primer

-Sand (Grit B)

-Paint

For Grit A and B, what do you recommend?

Thanks a lot man U ROCK!

Nah, it's all the fiberglass and body filler fumes I have absorbed over the years that sank in //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

It sounds about right to me . But I myself would do a little expiramenting with small amounts of each to get the mixture right for your current weather. If it's cold ( below 60 ) you might need to mix it a little hotter ( more mekp ) warmer a little less. Too hot though will make the bondo brittle when it dries.

For A the roughest you can find. The absolute best thing to use is a cheese grater style body file. What your doing here is getting rid of all of the ridges and high spots in the filler.

B will need to come before the primer.

B I would step down progressivly from 120 to 400 or 500 grit.

Anything else let me know //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

You may also want to apply a small skim coat after sanding if there are any pin holes. A few layers of primer and some blocking should take care of any imperfections or sand scratches after that.

Personally, I would finish sanding my bondo after the 400 grit and then do 400 and then 600 blocking (possibly even wet depending on the finish you are looking for).

Usually you would use a rubber spactula or spreader (?). But DEFINATElY sand while it's like hard play-doh. That way the ridges and everything are taken care of. If you have a big surface, hell even a small one, a D/A or Orbital sander does wonders. I sanded my bondo down with something like 30 grit or so. I can't remember what it was I just asked for the grittiest **** I could find.

Hope this helps...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.