PPI "Bass Knob" cord fix -

Participant count
  • Participant list

ummduh
10+ year member

Just wanted to post up my fix.

I got a new PPI BA2600.1D amp. Works fine, but when you plug in the cord for the bass knob, it goes into immediate protect. Even without the knob plugged in, just the cord.

I ohm'd it out, and 2 of the wires (there are 3 pairs, 6 leads) were shorted out to each other.

I grabbed a regular old telephone cord and it didn't work, didn't do anything. I asked SonicElectronix if they could just send me a new knob kit, but they wanted me to send the whole thing back to do anything. The amp works fine, just this 10 cent cord is messed up.

So I opened up the knob and traced the leads, with the jack clip side down, pins 3&5 share a trace on the knob, and 4&6 share a trace. 1 goes to the LED. Turns out pin 2 3 4 (right to left)are the only pins you actually need (3 and 4 probably actually). But the "magic" of their cord is that the ends are mirror images of each other, so if you grab a regular POTS cord it won't work. I went and grabbed some 4 pin POTS ends and made a cord out of cat5. I couldn't find 6 pin, they only had 4 and 8 (cat5). Just mirror imaged pins 2 3 4. Since there is no pin 1, the LED on the knob doesn't work, and I'm OK with that, it's installed in a dash without it anyways.

Just wanted to share, I've searched and I couldn't find any references to this.

Good to know. I do a lot of my own rj45 but never messed with anything else. My crimpers worked with 4 & 6 wire though so I figured i'd give it a try. I like saving time and money.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.