PPI Phantom P900.4

Since the PPI 900.4 and Soundstream TN4.900D seem to be fairly popular around here... Has anyone noticed that the manual states 8 gauge wire is required for these amps. Seems low. Anyone running 8 gauge power wire on these?
4 gauge trimmed down noticed a slight difference in overall performance over 8.

Jeff, what kind of difference is heard? Louder, cleaner..?
Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
very slightly on both ends. Maybe squeezed 5 ish watts more out of it more so thats very hard to notice and its not worth the upgrade to be honest. I just did the 4 gauge because i know i'll go bigger in the future. Amp ran the same temperature as well.

OK just curious as I have a 900.4 that gas 4ga and a i1000.4 that states requires 8ga which I'm running. I will be adding my profile California 600 2 CH bridged for mono to my sub and now curious if that should get 4ga instead of 8. I have 4 ga run from my batt to my terminal block. Going off this chart my 4ga is OK and the California can use the 8ga......or would you jump a dedicated sub amp to 4 ga?

2292e5dcaac619f0f607187dd258b922.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Power wire requirements are generally way over-blown in car audio.

The 900.4 will do about 1k on the dyno -- on 0db tones.

What portion of a standard music recording EVER reaches 0db? Basically none.

What portion even gets to -3dB? Maybe 10% -- something in that vicinity. What's -3dB power wise? It's down 50%. That "1000w" amp is getting to ~500w+ 10% of the time, most of which would be dynamics that would be drawn from the onboard capacitors.

Then assuming you're not at full volume all the time the numbers will come way down from there.

If you're blasting it into clipping constantly, that would change things -- I suppose that's a lot of the reason for the "wiring guides" to always recommend huge wire.

According to that chart above, I "should" be running 1/0. I'm running 16' 4awg, split to 2' 8's -- 1kw and around 500w both class D. My V-drop is .2-.3 at full volume.

A few years ago (different amps, but comparable power) my local auto electric shop hooked their charging system analyzer up and had me turn it up so they could see the current demand (I had brought them a fried alternator). I put in Bass Mekanik and blasted it. The highest reading was around 65A.

Also extremely helpful. The set up is fairly simple with the front channels powering my hybrid audio components and the rear channels powering an idq 10. Definitely never pushed close to clipping and have gains set appropriately.

Power wire is knukoncepts 8 gauge OFC so I'm sure I'll hold up just fine here.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.