Power my 6.5 comps with amp, rear coaxs with HU?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Peanut1181
10+ year member

Virginia
Hi folks,

I'm looking at getting a set of Rainbow SLC 265 6.5" components for the front and some ??? (as yet undetermined) 6x9 coax for the back. I want to get a 2-channel amp to power the comps at about 150 x 2 at 4 Ohms so I was wondering if I could just use the HU, a Kenwood Excelon KDC-X790, to power the rear coax speakers? Nobody is EVER in the backseat b/c it's a 2006 Tiburon (nobody can fit back there!) so will the stock HU provide enough power to those coax speakers to produce decent sound? I'm really just looking for some fill back there I guess. Thanks a lot! Oh, and if you have suggestions on some decent 6x9 coax I'd appreciate it.

Peanut1181

Forget the rear coax. If nobody rides back there it wont matter. With the rainbows upfront you will have a great sound stage. This is a matter of preference of course but most people only run a front stage. Think of it like this when your at a concert does the sound come from the rear. With correct staging your system should sound really wide and you shouldnt be able to pick out the location of the speakers with your ears (as if your in the crowd at a concert) this is done with proper speaker placement inside of the vehicle. But if rear fill is your preference then yes your HU should power them well enough. You dont want to overpower your fronts.

Welcome to the forum I hope this helps

Nick

Yes, you'd be fine powering the rear fill off the deck, but I'd rather see you ditch the rear fill and spend the money on the comps. Are you installing the comps in the doors? If you are you could get the SLC's and use the extra cash on some Raammat or equivalent deadener. If you're already deadened you could look at the Germaniums instead of the SLC's.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.