porting

Originally posted by MaXiMa ok guys i am willing to bet i am not the only one here who does not know how to port to a specific Hz. anybody know the formulas or helpful hints on how to do it. also is there like a good all around Hz range for subs?
I use WinISD. If you want, tell me the subs, dimensions you have to work with, and tuning(daily driving I'd say 30-40 Hz) and I can give you port size and such.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

i am going for all out spl and i plan on using 15" flame Q's but i dunno hwat size box. i was thinkin probably like 2.5 cubic feet per sub. jsut a rough estimate. ok another question what do the dimensions of the port size mean. i mean i see something like 12"h 4"w and like 4L. that is purely figurative numbers but if u r tlaking about a hole that is a big hole!

Originally posted by MaXiMa i am going for all out spl and i plan on using 15" flame Q's but i dunno hwat size box. i was thinkin probably like 2.5 cubic feet per sub. jsut a rough estimate. ok another question what do the dimensions of the port size mean. i mean i see something like 12"h 4"w and like 4L. that is purely figurative numbers but if u r tlaking about a hole that is a big hole!
15"Flame Q's need a whole lot more room than that for all out SPL, I'd give them 4-5 cubes a piece...
The dimensions of the port size determine the tuning frequency.

Example- a round port will be 4" in diameter, and 10" long, that will be tuned to a certain frequency, determined by the size of the port and box.

A slot port will be, lets say 15" high, 4" wide, and 15" deep.

Originally posted by snova031 15"Flame Q's need a whole lot more room than that for all out SPL, I'd give them 4-5 cubes a piece...

The dimensions of the port size determine the tuning frequency.

Example- a round port will be 4" in diameter, and 10" long, that will be tuned to a certain frequency, determined by the size of the port and box.

A slot port will be, lets say 15" high, 4" wide, and 15" deep.

ok how is a round port 10"s long? ok with a slot port u r basically sayin i need a big ass hole??!?! i am still confused on y u need a hole taht is more than a foot tall and 4" wide is htat a big hole to yall? that is huge to me

Originally posted by MaXiMa ok how is a round port 10"s long? ok with a slot port u r basically sayin i need a big ass hole??!?! i am still confused on y u need a hole taht is more than a foot tall and 4" wide is htat a big hole to yall? that is huge to me
Basically, you will need a big ass hole, if the tuning requires it. Take a look at my gallery, there is a pic of my box w/o the top on that shows the port. My port is 14.5" high, 4" wide, and 23" deep. Since my box is only 20" deep, I had to bend the port in the corner. Get it?

Originally posted by dbhittin street use, everyday listening, 33 to 38, 35 is the best. all out spl 40+ tune to your car freq.
No, you dont tune exactly to the car's resonant freq. You tune it so that it PEAKS at that freq. A good rule of thumb is to tune it anywhere from 2-11 hz below the resonant freq.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

MaXiMa

10+ year member
CarAudio.com Elite
MaXiMa
san antonio
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date