Pontiac Grand Prix Wont Stay Started

Participant count
  • Participant list

Donks
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
CO, Ohio
I Recently Bought A 1979 Pontiac Grand Prix. Everything Has Been Great Until Today //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/pissed.gif.9f665f96bc89e98e708dabd4580bb591.gif

I Have a Huge Holly Carburetor That Sticks out above the Hood. I Also have the Leather Piece That Covers It For like When you Wash your car or whatever. I Remember the previous Owner specifically telling me not to get Water in the Carb.

Today I took it to the car wash and forgot about covering the carb. Once i started and left it never ran good since. It starts up right but it wont stay on unless im flooring the gas. it will even die when im switching shifts unless im flooring it. i drove it for about 10mins to keep her running to see if it just needed to be driven. anytime i came to a complete srop it cut off. i got home then i parked it and it stayed running but barely. it sounded like my egine is coughing up and lung and its about to die any second.

i dont know what i've done. only thing i can think of is i accidentally got water in the holley carb and its messed something up. what you guys think i should do?

my mechanic suggest to just let it sit overnight & half the day 2morrow to make sure its fully hot and dry. then give it a shot.

I got water into a carb of an old CJ7. I had to be pulled and they engine had to be floored while being pulled. Keep in mind the engine wasn't really running. Probably not the best idea, but it worked. I guess all the water had to get cycled through. So I'd wait for it to dry, then give it a shot tomorrow.

i would do some more internet searching and give it a try in a day or so. im goin threw some issues my self. my stupid bcm burnt i think. 1200+ to get it fixed. just try to relax and dont get ahead of your self. i know this stuff can **** but just take it one step at a time. if there is a issue just see what is wrong and get it fixed right. good luck and keep us updated for sure.

Sounds like you upgraded to water injection.

Leave it running for a while, you probably got water in the intake/cylinders. The heat will dry it up.

Only serious thing i can think of is get a compression/leakdown test to see if any seals popped.

Piston ringlands, piston rings etc.

IMG00289-20100922-1218.jpg

IMG00288-20100922-1218.jpg

IMG00287-20100922-1217.jpg

IMG00286-20100922-1217.jpg

IMG00284-20100922-1216.jpg

IMG00283-20100922-1216.jpg

IMG00282-20100922-1215.jpg

Ok, first of all, Ditch that gay *** bird catcher.

something that small looks retarded on a car like that.

2nd. get some nice 15" chrome 5 spoke rims. those rims look retarded.

3rd, put some meatier tires on there.

First of all I didn't Ask For Your Retarded *** Negative Feedback. This isnt a **** Car Review. Second of All I Dont Care how you would like my car. i like ti how it is and wouldnt change a thing. And Third of All There Aint Shyyt You Said To Help Me out The Least A Bit. Go Lube U Middle Finger And Fuq Yourself.

Are you ******* stupid? read 4 posts up.

Until then, go drive your ni gger mobile into a brick wall.

it looks like a piece of **** and ruined a perfectly good oldschool car.

Sounds like you upgraded to water injection.

Leave it running for a while, you probably got water in the intake/cylinders. The heat will dry it up.

Only serious thing i can think of is get a compression/leakdown test to see if any seals popped.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

Donks

10+ year member
CarAudio.com Elite
Donks
CO, Ohio
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date