Pioneerpimp's New two 21" DPs and 2 sundown SAZ3000Ds

I fatmat'd my trunk lid in south FL sun with no external heat applied, just rolling. Left it there for 3 days without puting the carpet back over it and it never fell.

I love FatMat, sure it may not be as good as Damplifier or Raamat and such, but for the price I don't think it can be beat when working with a tight budget.

This looks like it'll be a sick build, keep up with it pioneerpimp //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

I would use heat anyways. Just to make sure.
In the winter yes use a heat gun but summer time I don't think so unless the adhesive is heat activated.

I plan leaving it in my car or somewhere out in the open sun light so it can get good and plyable. Gonna let the powa of da sun help a brotha out. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

thats what i did. i was sweating so bad inside the van all day when i was applying it and then i woke up for work yesterday morning, and everything but 2 little sheets of it had fallen off.

I heated my fatmat when I installed it just to be safe. I'd never put it on a roof though, especially not in multiple layers, your just doubling or trippling the weight that one layer of adhesive has to handle to try and stay stuck to the roof.

thats what i did. i was sweating so bad inside the van all day when i was applying it and then i woke up for work yesterday morning, and everything but 2 little sheets of it had fallen off.
Sorry to hear that, guess it was to hot.

Was the van in direct sun light while you were appling it?

i applied 3 layers to the roof. probably a part of my problem.

yes. it was in direct sunlight, does that make a difference?

and pictures will be up when i get new batteries put into the camera.

but i'll keep everybody updated

i applied 3 layers to the roof. probably a part of my problem.
yes. it was in direct sunlight, does that make a difference?

and pictures will be up when i get new batteries put into the camera.

but i'll keep everybody updated
yea, fat mat is jsut peel and seal with a logo that rubs off everywhere. For the roof you need a good mat like SS

For some if not all mats direct sun light makes a difference. The adhesive has no time to set if the heat is (soo high).

Its like keeping the pan on the stove after the cooking is complete. But in this case it just makes the pan (in this case your van roof) unable for anything to stick too b/c its to hot. And all the weight didn't help any.

All of this is in MHO

I used accumat on my roof of the expedition. If you just peel it and roll it up there it will eventually fall.

Take a heat gun or one of those portable torches and heat the stuff up until it starts to smell and curl over on itself. Work the piece very carefully onto the roof, starting at one corner and roll the rest of it on, be sure to keep it HOT keep heat on it while you're applying it (2 people and a pair of gloves work great)

Just make sure you roll the piece on super great and press REAL hard with the roller while heat is being applied. If you do it right it should take a while and be the biggest PITA ever to remove it.

It took us 2 days to do the roof of my expedition to make sure it was done right

For some if not all mats direct sun light makes a difference. The adhesive has no time to set if the heat is (soo high).
Its like keeping the pan on the stove after the cooking is complete. But in this case it just makes the pan (in this case your van roof) unable for anything to stick too b/c its to hot. And all the weight didn't help any.

All of this is in MHO
The heat actually helps the glue adhere to the surface, you just have to work it really well to the piece you are applying it to.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

pioneerpimp

5,000+ posts
CarAudio.com Veteran
pioneerpimp
IL
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date