Outboard processors

Participant count
  • Participant list

buggsson
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
I've searched both this forum and Googled for outboard processors and the result was very scant, to say the least. Is there really no outboard processor worth its salt? The only ones I've come across is Alpines PXA-H701, PXE-H650 and Altomobile 30, of which the latter was said to be noisy, and the H701 is out of production and needs the RUX-C701. Is that all there is, or is there something I've missed out there?

Features I want is: Time alignment, active crossover and parametric eq (at least 5 bands).

Budget, I don't know, I just want to know what's out there.

Other than the 701, the Rockford 3sixty.2 is the only unit currently in production that I know of that will do what you want. The PPI DCX-730 will work if you can find one. None of the AudioControl units have time alignment that I know of.

The Altomobile supposedly has a slightly higher tested s/n but was still be below the threshold of audibility. Never heard that anyone HEARD the noise only that it benched higher than some other units. The Alesis and Behringer processors modded for car use both measure on the noisy side, but have won multiple SQ world champioships. Bench numbers don't mean everything especially once you get beyond the realm of audibility. I'll let you know more once I get mine installed. I had some issues with noise from my amp (bad caps in the amp itself) that kept me from really getting a feel for the processor in my last install, but I'm pretty confident that it will more than satisfy my needs. To the best of my knowledge it is out of production and Altomobile is no longer in business. Pretty sure that the bad review of their full range Class D amp in CA&E (pretty significant roll-off on the top end that was clearly audible) and the rumors of noise from the processors (that was only ever mentioned in the bench results and not heard in the listening tests of any review I found) sealed their fate. They weren't very well known at all. Too bad because the Drive 30 is a fantastically capable processor taking most of its cues from pro audio/studio gear than traditional car audio products.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

buggsson

10+ year member
Senior VIP Member
buggsson
Ingaroe, Sweden
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date