Orion Cobalt CB4500/1d Amp Dyno

Best part about doing this test was trying out my new clamp meter

Cobalts have always been the budget breed for Orion since I can remember.Pretty reliable amps over the years.Ill agree, that for the money and needing 1k rms to push a single sub or even a pair of 600rms subs it would be worth the money in my opinion.No shame running it for the money.Just a bit larger footprint than most but if you are willing to give up just a little bit of space, why not run it.

Orion (and other companies) are hurting their brand by printing ridiculous wattage claims all over their products. Just call this amp a 1500 watt amp and then watch Ryan's video to see it does beyond that number dynamic @ 1 ohm. People would look much more favorably on it.

Wow I'm surprised it did so well. Those numbers were about the same as the birthsheet from my old RF Punch 1k. Orion had the new Cobalt series on display at Slamology, the mids and tweet looked and sounded very impressive.

the max power claim is reminiscent if pionners, sonys and kenwoods of old. "i can output 30 bajillion watts!!!!!" and in all acuality it was like 50x2. Its actual power isnt bad at all, but i agree with ppiguy, why put such an inflated number on there? It might put out 4500 watts if lightning struck it, but not for very long LOL

What's funny is that Cobalt amp puts out about the same actual wattage (possibly more) than the old school red HCCA 2100 from back in the early days of Orion. It's far more efficient and smaller than the 2100 too. All for $169.95 (eBay price) compared to approx. $1600 for the OG Orion.

So, roughly 1/10th the price. Will it be as durable and last as long as the old school Made In The USA Orion's? Doubtful, but at that price you could replace this amp 6-7 times and still have less invested.

I say all that to drive home the point that power is cheap these days. And Orion should play up a comparison of the two amps instead of stenciling "4500 watts" all over the **** thing!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.