Orion 222 SX

Prowler573
5,000+ posts

R.I.P. Gossamer!!
Can anyone give me the actual output of this little amp?

222SXtop.jpg

I know its ratings are given as 22w X 2 @ 4 Ohms but I am somehow under the impression that these SX-series units would do somewhat more than rated power and operate at lower than you would expect resistance loads like the HCCA and XTR amps did. If I am wrong on this assumption please feel free to correct me.

So, does anyone have a clue as to the real output of one of these or maybe could point me towards an owner's manual?

Okay - I got a little bit of help over at SSA but still don't have all the info I'm after.

Bumpo for wanting some complete specs! C'mon, folks....someone's gotta know about some old-school Orion goodness, huh?

Well, I navigated my way through DEI's automated phone system and spoke to an incredibly friendly fella who informed me that he does, in fact, have some info on this little SX amplifier and he'd be more than happy to either fax or email that info to me pronto.

I gave over my email address and he assured me that I'd have that info ASAP. Say what you like about the way some of the brands taken over by DEI have gone downhill since becoming part of the Directed universe but their CS, at least in my minimal experience, is right on top of things
smile.gif

Now that I've gone through that process of course my email has to have an attitude and won't let me in (a server problem not a failure to remember my login info problem but maddening all the same)

Okay - not nearly so helpful as what I thought //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

All I was sent was an owner's manual which lists no other output information outside of the 22w X 2 @ 4 Ohm stereo that I already knew.

Meh.

At least I have a copy of the original owner's manual now...

Those little SX amps were only stable to 2 ohm stereo and 4 ohm bridged. They were under-rated but, not by a great deal. Notice that the power output was figured at 12 volts instead of the 13.8-14.4 that is common in newer vehicles. What you have there is a good little tweeter amp or it may possibly even have enough power to run some comps in a low power setup. Definately do NOT try to run it at 1 ohm stereo or 2 ohm bridged!

My Orion 250SX only output 65 watts per channel just prior to clipping into 4 ohm dummy loads with a 68 Hz test tone and 14.4 volts of power. If the 222SX follows the same underrated pattern, I would venture to guess that it produces about 30% more power which would calculate out at 28.6 watts RMS per channel into a 4 ohm stereo load. I didn't try 4 ohm bridged and my wife would shoot me if I started digging around at this hour of night for everything to test.

Using the same test parameters, my 275SX output 108 watts RMS per channel just prior to clipping which would put it at being underrated a tad bit more.

Regardless, reality is not like the good old days when the sales associates would say "This amp will give you TWICE the power because it is an Orion!"

My Orion 250SX only output 65 watts per channel just prior to clipping into 4 ohm dummy loads with a 68 Hz test tone and 14.4 volts of power. If the 222SX follows the same underrated pattern, I would venture to guess that it produces about 30% more power which would calculate out at 28.6 watts RMS per channel into a 4 ohm stereo load. I didn't try 4 ohm bridged and my wife would shoot me if I started digging around at this hour of night for everything to test.
Using the same test parameters, my 275SX output 108 watts RMS per channel just prior to clipping which would put it at being underrated a tad bit more.

Regardless, reality is not like the good old days when the sales associates would say "This amp will give you TWICE the power because it is an Orion!"
Out of curiosity, did you ever test the output of your 275SX at 2 ohm stereo?

I wouldn't be surprised if the power did in fact double(or close to it) at the lower impedence. The SX series were some of my favorite Orion amps. Built like a tank and reliable.

Out of curiosity, did you ever test the output of your 275SX at 2 ohm stereo? I wouldn't be surprised if the power did in fact double(or close to it) at the lower impedence. The SX series were some of my favorite Orion amps. Built like a tank and reliable.
No, but I could dig it out and test it. I'll post the results if I get a chance to do some testing later on today.

Can we see some pics of the internals? It may give us an idea of the actual power output. I'm guessing each channel has a 2N6488 and a 2N6491 as outputs. Orion used those a lot back in the day. Hell it may even have the 2N6488 in the power supply. I had an Orion 2150gx that did not use a mosfet power supply like virtually every other amp built these days and it had 2N6488's in the power supply.

To those who, like me, google this in the future and are wondering the answer....see the video below:

BTW, gunz4me2 was RIGHT ON!!!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.