ooohh nooooooo!

Audiotechnix strato D2 1.85cu/ft net sealed per sub, 1.7cu/ft ported chamber. Each sub has it's own box. 1800wrms but pushin to about 2200-2300watts musically.

I isolated which sub was making the noise and took out the sub in question.................there's NOTHING WRONG with it.💀💀👽

Coils look nice, no scratching, no ripped spider or glue joints, cone, dust cap, etc ,etc, etc.

What.....the.....fukk. I'm at a loss. I don't know any more.🛸

I noticed that box has some leakage when pushing the cone in. It's not bad, but could that contribute to the issue? I mean it still takes time for the cone to get up after pushing it in, but you can hear a whistle when pushed in.🤔

What diameter subs?

What diameter subs?
15 inch

I played the offending sub without the top cover, on low to moderate volume, and the offending sound was there. I didnt want to turn up hard but it was definitely coming from that sub in that particular box, that I can't find nothing wrong with except for the slight leakage. I had the same leakage issue with a sealed box with the same subs and never had this severe rattling sound.

15 inch

I played the offending sub without the top cover, on low to moderate volume, and the offending sound was there. I didnt want to turn up hard but it was definitely coming from that sub in that particular box, that I can't find nothing wrong with except for the slight leakage. I had the same leakage issue with a sealed box with the same subs and never had this severe rattling sound.

Well, seal your box and see if it continues, maybe. Your ported side is fairly small for 2 15’s.

You maybe want to free air test your subs, lightly, and see if they make noise.

Well, seal your box and see if it continues, maybe. Your ported side is fairly small for 2 15’s.

You maybe want to free air test your subs, lightly, and see if they make noise.

I should've when I had it out, but I was convinced it couldn't be the sub directly. The leak seems to be coming from the gasket. For all I know, that may have always been there but not been a problem.

I'm trying to see if the box is the culprit, but I cant tell. The way the box was built, was by sandwiching two chambers together with silicone and screws around the baffle, so that there wouldnt be air leaks. They dont appear to be loose. I'm at a loss, I dont know what's going on. Guess I'll try doing something with sealing the gasket and see if that helps.

I put three more screws into the baffle joining the two chambers together, thinking they may have come apart internally. It did not solve the problem. But then I realized, some of the screws that fasten the cover panel are free spinning. There's nothing for the screw to grip onto. I think the holes opened up due to vibration, which caused the panel to make noise. But it's so loud even with weather stripping all around it.

Tomorrow, I will drill new holes for the panel and see what happens.

I put three more screws into the baffle joining the two chambers together, thinking they may have come apart internally. It did not solve the problem. But then I realized, some of the screws that fasten the cover panel are free spinning. There's nothing for the screw to grip onto. I think the holes opened up due to vibration, which caused the panel to make noise. But it's so loud even with weather stripping all around it.

Tomorrow, I will drill new holes for the panel and see what happens.

Dude, take the minute to free air the offending sub. Playing it if it's potentially damaged is just asking for more damage... Subs first, then enclosure. Take a dead-blow hammer or rubber mallet and tap on the enclosure on each side to help isolate any potential loose panels. And for anything that needs to be secure and removable, I would invest in some bolts and threaded inserts for your panel thing.

Matt

Audiotechnix strato D2 1.85cu/ft net sealed per sub, 1.7cu/ft ported chamber. Each sub has it's own box. 1800wrms but pushin to about 2200-2300watts musically.

I isolated which sub was making the noise and took out the sub in question.................there's NOTHING WRONG with it.💀💀👽

Coils look nice, no scratching, no ripped spider or glue joints, cone, dust cap, etc ,etc, etc.

What.....the.....fukk. I'm at a loss. I don't know any more.🛸

I noticed that box has some leakage when pushing the cone in. It's not bad, but could that contribute to the issue? I mean it still takes time for the cone to get up after pushing it in, but you can hear a whistle when pushed in.🤔
I still have a 12 DVC4 in that series, I think the most Ive ever put on it was like 500 rms clean. I dont remember but could swear that series was only rated for like 600 rms? Id have to look it up to remember

400rms is underrated. I've been putting 500-600 each full tilt for a couple weeks at half ohm and the coils still look nice.

I SOLVED THE PROBLEM!🔊🔊🎶🔥

The loose panel screws were the problem. I added 4 more screws where they were needed and it solved the problem. No more horrendous box rattle. I'm glad it's not the subs. I've had those subs for nearly ten years and they never failed. Audiotechnix for the win.(y)

I also learned to never underestimate the pressure the builds up in 4th order bandpass boxes. I thought the screw count was good, apparently not. Might have to add more to the second box just incase. Basically, the vibration loosens the MDF that the screw is holding on to, then the panel starts to flex over time.

Man I'm glad this ordeal is over with. 😵

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...

About this thread

Beatin'

10+ year member
CarAudio.com Elite
Beatin'
MI
Start date
Participants
Who Replied