Only powering one voice coil?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Proximity
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Veteran
Detroit
This is probably a stupid question, but can you only power one voice coil for a sub?

Like lets say I had an amp that did 1000 watts at 1 ohm, 500 at 2 ohms, and a sub with dual 1 ohm voice coils. Using both voice coils I'd only be getting 500 watts, whereas I could get 1000 watts out of just one of the voice coils.

thanks..I hope this isn't too dumb

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Similar threads

My experience says that for most people, usually, overpowering subs doesn't really gain much, especially for daily or music. Actual power levels...
The 750 will give you better control at higher volumes as you won't be reaching clipping as soon..
When you say power on for a limited time, do you mean power after the vehicle has been shut off or just turning on the radio and it plays for a...
Yes, the power wires' colors don't match from the dash to the new harness. However, I tested them and the wire I'm treating as the constant 12v is...
I would pull the amp and bench test it with power and ground wires. If it still doesn't power up, its probably shot. My next step would be to...

About this thread

Proximity

10+ year member
CarAudio.com Veteran
Proximity
Detroit
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date