One 12" SSA Xcon or two Sundown SA 12's in E90 M3

Common Sense

Hi Guys,

I'm getting ready to put some bass in my E90 M3. I have always been into bass and in the past (going back to 1998) had JL Audio 12W3V1, JL audio 12W3V2, and now JL audio 12TW3 in my wife's x5. I wanted to try something new and have been researching for a while and seems like either one xcon or two SA12's would be in my wheelhouse. I do all the installations myself.

The enclosure is 1.87 cubic feet total. The SA 12 calls for 1 cubic feet so I figured I could stuff each chamber with 1lb polyfill to get it closer to the 1 cubic feet and use two SA 12's. Or I could go one xcon which would be 1.7 net after driver install and I could put a couple braces in to get the net to 1.6 which on SSA's website would be ideal.

Amp would be Sundown SVC2000 or Hifonic's Brutus whichever would be recommended by the group. I've had good luck with the Brutus amps in the past, but wanted to try something new. Cost isn't an issue............to a point.

I'm trying to keep it around 2000 watts RMS max so I don't have to fiddle with my electrical system. My alternator puts out 180 amps.

Thanks.

Matt

xcon in 2.5cf ported is probably what everyone would recommend., if u do i sealed that large of a box u will have to watch how much power u give it.. 1.25-1.5 would be good but if u are overpowering it any bigger sealed u will have to back gain down some which is fine.. and every one here will say sundown amp i feel sure.. there are other amps to look at twisted sounds 1.8k maybe, ssa has some good amps check out the amps on ssa.com

I would recommend the SA 12s.

If you know what you're doing with the polyfill and not just jamming it in there willy nilly then it should have very good results.

Just something I would just be cautious of.

If the subs will share a sealed chamber then you should get the amount of polyfill pretty close to exact per woofer.

About 1 pound of polyfill per 1 cubic foot is correct as you said.

If you put too much polyfill and power the woofers up, you could bottom them out and ruin the subs.

As for the amp, I wouldn't even consider getting a hofionics. Back in the day they were decent amps but they have fallen behind the curve as far as today's standards.

Get the sundown 2k. Properly tune it and that would be the perfect match for those subs.

I owned a pair of rev 1 SA 12's back when I was in highschool. Still one of my favorite woofers to this day. Wish I never sold them...

xcon in 2.5cf ported is probably what everyone would recommend., if u do i sealed that large of a box u will have to watch how much power u give it.. 1.25-1.5 would be good but if u are overpowering it any bigger sealed u will have to back gain down some which is fine.. and every one here will say sundown amp i feel sure.. there are other amps to look at twisted sounds 1.8k maybe, ssa has some good amps check out the amps on ssa.com
I just don't think I have enough room in my trunk for a box that big while still retaining some cargo space for groceries, etc. I know I know, priorities priorities. I listen to allot of EDM and indie rock and roll like pinback. My fav EDM song right now is stranger by peking duk which has fairly musical bass. I've never owned or experienced a ported box, but I do love to feel the bass so much it sort of hurts a little.

HST-12 mkII 12″ Subwoofer | Stereo Integrity
This on a sundown 2k in a sealed box should tickle your fancy
Now you're confusing me more!!! I was all set on two SA 12's or one Xcon! Man it's so tough.

I still like the idea of a sealed box for space and overall freq response, but the sundows down like sealed from what I've read on here
The SA12's like sealed which is why I was going to go with them, but if the xcon likes a port, I supposed I could see if it will fit......

I believe only the sd3 series like sealed. That hst12 is a beast. I would get one if I were planning sealed.
Lemme go check that thing out.... No chance I can use that, it's mounting depth is 12", but the enclosure is so small I guess I could just build a rectangular box for it or something???

I'm familiar with stereo integrity. I have six of their 18" subs in my HT, my wife is afraid they're going to damage the house. The sliding glass door flexes like it's gonna break.

https://goo.gl/photos/Ybdd9dFHoFB7BEiw6

I would recommend the SA 12s.If you know what you're doing with the polyfill and not just jamming it in there willy nilly then it should have very good results.

Just something I would just be cautious of.

If the subs will share a sealed chamber then you should get the amount of polyfill pretty close to exact per woofer.

About 1 pound of polyfill per 1 cubic foot is correct as you said.

If you put too much polyfill and power the woofers up, you could bottom them out and ruin the subs.

As for the amp, I wouldn't even consider getting a hofionics. Back in the day they were decent amps but they have fallen behind the curve as far as today's standards.

Get the sundown 2k. Properly tune it and that would be the perfect match for those subs.

I owned a pair of rev 1 SA 12's back when I was in highschool. Still one of my favorite woofers to this day. Wish I never sold them...
the subs will not share the same chamber. They will have their own chamber. I sort of have an idea what I'm doing with polyfill but not entirely! Feel free to share some tips. I usually stuff it in there but keep it fluffy/lighter around the motor.

the subs will not share the same chamber. They will have their own chamber. I sort of have an idea what I'm doing with polyfill but not entirely! Feel free to share some tips. I usually stuff it in there but keep it fluffy/lighter around the motor.
If they have their own chamber then it will be an easy install. Those SA's will do great with 1cube sealed.

I would recommend physically weighing out the polyfill. Wouldn't want you to put too much in there and then your subs start to bottom out, especially on the scv2000.

What I've done in the past and have had success with is stapling the polyfill on the walls of the enclosure. Just so it's not flapping around and causing conflicts with the sub itself.

Hi Guys,
I'm getting ready to put some bass in my E90 M3. I have always been into bass and in the past (going back to 1998) had JL Audio 12W3V1, JL audio 12W3V2, and now JL audio 12TW3 in my wife's x5. I wanted to try something new and have been researching for a while and seems like either one xcon or two SA12's would be in my wheelhouse. I do all the installations myself.

The enclosure is 1.87 cubic feet total. The SA 12 calls for 1 cubic feet so I figured I could stuff each chamber with 1lb polyfill to get it closer to the 1 cubic feet and use two SA 12's. Or I could go one xcon which would be 1.7 net after driver install and I could put a couple braces in to get the net to 1.6 which on SSA's website would be ideal.

Amp would be Sundown SVC2000 or Hifonic's Brutus whichever would be recommended by the group. I've had good luck with the Brutus amps in the past, but wanted to try something new. Cost isn't an issue............to a point.

I'm trying to keep it around 2000 watts RMS max so I don't have to fiddle with my electrical system. My alternator puts out 180 amps.

Thanks.

Matt
Prob the worst mistake you can make. i would strongly suggest at least doing the big 3 and if you don't got a good starting battery, upgrade that as well. Those tiny little small di wires from alt to batt then batt to ground are limited for your electrical. You add anything and your gonna experience headlight dims and lights flashing.

If they have their own chamber then it will be an easy install. Those SA's will do great with 1cube sealed. I would recommend physically weighing out the polyfill. Wouldn't want you to put too much in there and then your subs start to bottom out, especially on the scv2000.

What I've done in the past and have had success with is stapling the polyfill on the walls of the enclosure. Just so it's not flapping around and causing conflicts with the sub itself.
Understood and thanks for the tips on the polyfill. The net volume of each chamber after subtracting the volume of the woofer is going to be 0.8 ft3. But then I'd stuff each chamber with circa 1 lb of polyfill. Good?

Id use two IA flatlyne 12s personally. If not a single idmax 15 is pretty good idea.
15" won't fit the space. I'll look into the ia flatline. Thanks.

Prob the worst mistake you can make. i would strongly suggest at least doing the big 3 and if you don't got a good starting battery, upgrade that as well. Those tiny little small di wires from alt to batt then batt to ground are limited for your electrical. You add anything and your gonna experience headlight dims and lights flashing.
Understood. Appreciate the advice. I'll do those too. Any recs on who to buy the wire from? I'm assuming zero gauge like I did on my civic.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.