Official CarAudio.com Big 3 Thread

i had a question. OK for the big 3 can i use power wire also for ground.
power and ground wire is the same exact thing //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif

copper is copper is copper as long as it is the same AWG size

Just got a new car so I'm doing this all over. Only this time I am having a bit of a problem. On this car (04 Mazda RX-8) My line runs from the alternator to the main fuse on the underhood fuse block then to the (+) battery terminal. So I have 2 different runs for this. Ok, no big deal. I have all the wire in place and I'm ready to button everything back up and when I re-connect the (-) terminal to the battery the main fuse that I just spoke of blows and sparks jump from the terminal. Anybody have any advice or ideas?

i wish this had pictures on page 1.
its easy if you just get under your hood and look. it becomes pretty obvious. big single wire that goes from your alternator to your battery (or main under hood fuse block), big wire that goes from negative battery terminal to the chassis, and big wire (or braided strap) that goes from the motor( or intake manifold) to chassis. If you don't under stand this, you probably shouldn't be under the hood of your car.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fro.gif.c695f1f814b01c4ad99fe7f8cccadd29.gif

its easy if you just get under your hood and look. it becomes pretty obvious. big single wire that goes from your alternator to your battery (or main under hood fuse block), big wire that goes from negative battery terminal to the chassis, and big wire (or braided strap) that goes from the motor( or intake manifold) to chassis. If you don't under stand this, you probably shouldn't be under the hood of your car.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fro.gif.c695f1f814b01c4ad99fe7f8cccadd29.gif
x9

Current, not amperage
actually I gained 7 amps at 2k... I only had a 8-10 gauge wire running from the alternator though. I did the same test earlier in the day and managed 98 amps, twice and reded it again after I did the 2 gauge to the battery and it came up to 105 both times. I dunno if thats freak of nature or what but both times all acc. were off as well as air and such. Im gonna go do the grounds now that I have the terminals, and see if it does anything else?

Well i'm fixing to do this on my girlfriends saturn. Luckily, this will only be a 5 hour project or something. The idiots at Saturn (gm's practical joke) decided to put the alternator under the motor behind the power steering pump.

Anyways my question is where do i get crimps? She also has the side post battery..

Alright my alt does ~100 amps and i wanna do the big3 with 1/0 wire. I am confused on what size fuse to get, how high can my alt spike? Would a 200amp fuse be fine?

quick question................why would i need a fuse from batt to alt???
you dont need a fuse , I havent ever used one ALT to BAT

Keep in mind it is a hot wire,so try not to short it out //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Well i am still stumped on the fuse size for the 1/0 run. My stock fuse for the alt is 100a so im just gonna go with 100a for the 1/0, any problems here?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...