O-Scope VS. DMM

atlbraves

Banned
US
I was wondering since i am not 100% sure and dont trust myself to set gains by ear. I have been using a 1khz tone for comps, and 50hz tone for subs. I unplug the speakers set the HU 75% all settings zero set exactly what the volts are supposed to be according to the ohms.

So i was wondering setting that way with a DMM how far is that off from real power its actually putting out where u have the gains set at. How much higher or lower are you setting the watts using a DMM compared to a O-Scope and getting them exactly the right wattage.

anyone ever compared.

Thanks

oscilloscope is used in order to actually see the waveform. You will be able to visually see if your clipping the signal. With the dmm, if its set to ac, you are only getting rms voltage. The dmm only reads rms values for ac.

so if i set it for 1500rms am i sending less than 1500 or sending a clipped signal if i am using a 50hz tone to set gains

bumpin how do u like your cdt cl-62cf's

ok then how about 1khz for my comps, how far off is a dmm, is it worth the 15 bucks or w/e a shop charges to set gains with their o-scope

how far off is a dmm,
I think you're missing the point. A DMM is a great piece of test gear, but it doesn't tell you squat about what the waveform looks like. A scope does //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

ok so if the dmm says 1500 once i convert it then its really doing 1500rms and if the amp is made and on the birthsheet to do 1650 i shouldnt be sending a clipped signal at all right??

Ok well if the amp does rated power or is underrated then it shouldnt be a clipped signal if its rated on the birthsheet for 1650 and you set it at 1500-1600rms then it should be fine and only on a few notes it might clip right??

I set the gains with a 50hz tone and the xover on the amp is at 50hz as well i recall w/e it is when turned all the way down, is that ok or what

too bad some company doesnt come a long and let you enter in your drivers RMS, and it sets the gain for you. then you can turn your deck up as loud as you want, and you can never screw up your drivers or hear any distortion.

too bad some company doesnt come a long and let you enter in your drivers RMS into the amp, and it sets the gain for you. then you can turn your deck up as loud as you want, and you can never screw up your drivers or hear any distortion.

I set mine by ear with the music i listen to. Since i like the bass more prominent in the mix i adjust the bass first and then adjust the highs until i get the blend i want. Depending on efficiency and power you have for the highs compared to bass you may want to adjust one down so it doesn't overpower the other.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.