Noob Moments!

Phrozt
10+ year member

The Drunken Snowman
Decatur, IL
yeah, there's been thousands of these threads, but no one can deny how funny they are.

WHAT'S YOUR FAVORITE NOOB MOMENT!?!

Can be you or someone else. I'll start it off!!

When I was first learning about subs, I thought "sealed" vs "ported" referred to how the sub was installed to the hole. i.e., I thought that in a "sealed" box, the outside of the rims of the sub were attached to the inside of the hole of the box:

---_ ........ _---

..... \ ___/

As opposed to the inside of the rims of the sub being attached to the outside of the hole of the box in a ported enclosure:

__-.......... -___

..... \___/

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/imwithstupid.gif.ff72b14418b3c35ebdf1ccd38da21695.gif

The very first aftermarket head unit I ever bought myself was a Coustic RX504 cassette deck (back in the good 'ole dual-shaft chassis days)

I was fifteen at the time and I knew absolutely zero about car audio outside of the factory AM/FM/8-Track in my car (my 1st car was a '74 model) ****** ass.

My working theory was that more = better so I connected all manner of speakers up to it, every one that I could get my grubby little hands on, and had them laying all around the car wherever I could stick a speaker and it be out of the way while I was driving.

Well, 16 or so speakers later (as well as who knows how low of an impedence I dropped on the poor little radio) I got my very first look at and smell of the ubiquitous 'Magic Smoke.'

A rather acrid odor, to tell the truth, and one I'm in no hurry to experience again.

Prowler.. nice.. reminds me of when I replaced my HU in my 86 olds' cutlass ciera and I couldn't get the dash off properly, so it ended up being cracked in 3 different places, and the faceplate still ended up being installed in *front* of the dash :|

Oh and trigger, you're the coolest guy in the world for posting that, really, you are. (I'm just giving you attention for being oldschool and reassuring you about how much you matter in life, considering that's the only reason you posted what you did).

for one, i thought "who needs a HU with a sub-out, just use the bass control" wrooong

second, i thought "hell, if i crank the subsonic filter, gain, and set it to FULL instead of LOW, it has to be louder!" yay for blown hyper pro's!

lastly, sticking the fuse holder 3 feet from your amp isn't exactly where u want it! poof goes the amp

Oh and trigger, you're the coolest guy in the world for posting that, really, you are. (I'm just giving you attention for being oldschool and reassuring you about how much you matter in life, considering that's the only reason you posted what you did).
You're a meanie //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crying.gif.ec0ebefe590df0251476573bc49e46d8.gif

psycho.. thanks for that.. I'll be sure not to make those mistakes now.. lol.

And trigger.. I post on a board that is about 90% flames. You have no idea how mean I can get //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/satan.gif.9c6a335ed7aeeed3ee273e573f1fcaac.gif//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/pissed.gif.9f665f96bc89e98e708dabd4580bb591.gif//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/satan.gif.9c6a335ed7aeeed3ee273e573f1fcaac.gif

check out http://vnboards.ign.com/darktide/b5152/p1 for really disgruntled and evil people.

Some topics are perfectly normal sounding, but the replies to people in it are just.. not nice //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif. It's from a PvP only server for a 6 year old game played by egoists.

I really wasn't offended. It takes alot more than that //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif tis the internet afterall.

To add to your thread. Real close friend of mine built a ported box out of partical board. Pulled the so called "design" out of his ars. Was uneven, huge, holes in it. Said as soon as he mounted the speaker it fell apart in his trunk.

Moral of the story, ask first before attempting to design and build a ported enclosure //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

whan I turned 16 I put in my first HU in a 1983 ford LTD Crown Vic. I took the dash apart and started cutting wires b/c at the time i didn't know about those adapter things. lol. Well I found out what all the wires went to. I also found out that 83 ford crown vics have sh**ty wiring so i couldn't get power to the rear speakers. I had no idea what was wrong till I talked to a friend of mine and he said that the speakers in crown vics of that year are grounded or something like that. So anyway I ended up running new speaker wire to the rear of the car and getting a new HU b/c the other one quit working. LOL

What I have learned. 83' Ford Crown Vics ****. There is an adapter to hook the stereo up in your car. I should have talked to someone before I started. That was my NooB moment of all times.

first time i hooked up my system, my wire kit came with a distribution block to convert my 4 gauge power wire to 2 8 gauge wires. I was not aware of this, and i thought i needed both the 8 gauge outlets to be hooked up, so i put the 8 gauge power wire in one, and the 8 gauge ground wire in the other. then i was absolutely puzzled on why it wasnt working, lol.

for one, i thought "who needs a HU with a sub-out, just use the bass control" wrooong
second, i thought "hell, if i crank the subsonic filter, gain, and set it to FULL instead of LOW, it has to be louder!" yay for blown hyper pro's!

lastly, sticking the fuse holder 3 feet from your amp isn't exactly where u want it! poof goes the amp
Whats wrong with that? I put my fused distro block about 3 feet from the amp. In fact it was recomended I run the 0ga as close to the amp as possible.

I would not think the the distance in front of the amp should matter as long as you use the correct fuse.???

when i was 9 i installed a sony xplode HU in a crysler lebaron... lol

i cut a set of RCA's and spliced the wires, then connected the speaker wires to the spliced RCA's.... on the same install it took me a while to figure out it wasn't coming on because the batt+ wire wasn't connected to anything...

the good ole days

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.