New head unit

Participant count
  • Participant list

tpmeredith
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Head unit got stolen a few weeks ago, looking to get a touchscreen double-din unit soon

Want one that has at least 4v preamp outputs

Also wanting GPS, bluetooth, preferably HD-Radio but it's not a dealbreaker, and USB in the front would be awesome but I can run it to my glovebox if need be.

Been looking at the Pioneer AVIC-Z120BT and the upcoming AVIC-Z130BT

Also saw some of the new kenwood headunits, such as the

Kenwood Excelon DNX6980 - Kenwood Excelon DNX6980 Navigation receiver at Crutchfield.com

Only using the crutchfield link for specs, dont plan on buying there

Basically my question is are these headunits worth it? Would it be worth it to build a nice car-pc instead? Anyone have any ideas on when these upcoming headunits are supposed to come out? I'd hate to shell out that much $$ and a few months later the newer model comes out.

I kind've like the kenwood unit that's coming out because it has USB on the front as well as an actual volume knob / buttons

Any input is nice, maybe I'm missing some other units that I should be looking at too

the pioneer 42&4300s are nice units, but im not sure if they have nav. buddy has one, its pretty sweet.
Ya I was looking at the 4300 for a while. It does GPS and bluetooth/HD but you have to buy the add-on modules

The modules on sonicelectronix for GPS is $280 and for bluetooth is $150, add that to the $400 for the headunit and I may as well buy one with it all built in so I'll have more features

Pioneer has a new unit coming out that I am going to pick up. Should be out in a week or so. Pioneer told my shop it will be released mid March.

It's the AVIC-x930BT. IT HAS A VOLUME KNOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pioneer has a new unit coming out that I am going to pick up. Should be out in a week or so. Pioneer told my shop it will be released mid March.It's the AVIC-x930BT. IT HAS A VOLUME KNOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I liked that one but the only thing it's missing is 4v+ preamp outputs, if I'm not mistaken it's going to have 2.2v

Looks like you can already order it on amazon though. But I'd sooner get a single-din 4-5v headunit than a 2.2v touchscreen

I think I'm just gonna wait a couple weeks until the new units come out because a lot of them are supposed to be 5v instead of 4 or 2.2v, supposedly a few of them are getting released in a couple weeks. No sense in dropping that kind've cash on a product if it's not gonna be top notch and updated within a month.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.