Need ASAP help on Bass Blockers?

Participant count
  • Participant list

nofriends46
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
I went to radio shack...

I seen the capacitors, but i didn't have no clue which one to get. No customer service going on. Probably the person didn't know anything about it. So....

what should i get for a 4" Pioneer & a 5 1/4" Pioneer also?

I seen ....

10µF 100V 20% Axial-Lead Non-Polarized Electrolytic Capacitor

4.7µF 50V 20% Axial-Lead Non-Polarized Electrolytic Capacitor

and others.....

Had 8ohms one, could understand them by 600hz etc... Should i get these instead?

Heres some of the categories.. if you wanna check it out http://www.radioshack.com/category.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F010%5F002%5F016%5F000&Page=1

hahaha

You dont need a cap for it, not by a long shot //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Will work fine without it...

He's talkin about using them as in-line crossovers to block the low frequencies to his coaxials, not a capasitor for his amp dork. And he DOES need to block those low frequencies or it will sound like shiznit. Sorry not sure about which ones would work best but I'd just get some bass-blockers, even if you had to order them from cruchfield or something theyre not expensive or maybe somebody else will know.

Those non-polarized caps are the same thing as bass blockers.

The "knee" frequency (-3 dB point) occurs when the capacitive reactance is the same as speaker impedance.

The formula is f = 1/(2*Pi*C*Z) or C = 1/(2*Pi*f*Z) depending on what you're looking for.

So...

For a 4 ohm speaker, a 100 Hz blocker is 400 uF. You can parallel caps and add them together. 50 volt rating is fine for head unit outputs.

so what i should go with the 4" Pioneer, 400uf?

Also what i should go witht he 5 1/4"???

Also you hook this up into the postive speaker?

So each speaker has a bass blocker?

Do you recommend 400uf for the 4" Pioneer speaker? or something else

what should i go with the 5 1/4" Pioneer speaker?

Do you hook the bass blocker only to the postive?

What if i go with the 8ohm, what will happend?

Thanks, hopefully you can anwser all the questions!

I double checked again with Radio Shack....

They had these........

1.0µF 50V 20% Axial-Lead Non-Polarized Electrolytic Capacito...

2.2µF 50V 20% Axial-Lead Non-Polarized Electrolytic Capacito...

4.7µF 50V 20% Axial-Lead Non-Polarized Electrolytic Capacito...

10.0µF 50V 20% Axial-Lead Non-Polarized Electrolytic Capacit...

They had Axial and non polarized... Axial said something like this 35WDVC or something and the non-polarized has 50volts and 1khz or 1hz... i can't remember...

So what should i get for my 4" and 5 1/4

Speakers?

You want the non polarized ones ( they work on AC ). Both the 4 and 5-1/4's are probably 4 ohm speakers (right?) and 100 Hz is a good cutoff freq so you need 400 uF for each speaker. In the pos or neg lead, doesn't matter.

You would need 2 of the 150 uF and one 100 uF cap in parallel to make 400 uF. If all they have is 10 uF jobs you'd need 40 of them for each speaker. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crazy.gif.c13912c32de98515d3142759a824dae7.gif Better off getting bass blockers from Crutchfield.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.