Need amp advice

Participant count
  • Participant list
So I had a taramps 440x4 but it was doa from Amazon so curious if I should stick with the same amp or set a different one. I'm looking at roughy 120 I have to spend.

It will be hooked up to 4 audio pipe mid range speakers
Provided the RMS wattages match or are very nearly matched then taramps is a good brand to save money on. Just keep in mind that amp doesn't have a variable high pass or low pass filter options, so you'll need to rely on either an EQ or your head unit for the filtering. EQ would be ideal, because head unit filtering is usually pretty bad and doesn't offer a lot of options, just general ones like 63hz, 80hz, 100hz, 250hz, etc.

You're not going to be able to match the wattage rating at that price unless you buy used, which I wouldn't suggest on ebay. That being said, if your speakers are lower wattage RMS than the amp, depending on what that is, then you might be better served by something on this list which all have variable filters (except the sony, stay clear of that one for the same reason).

Last edited:
The taramps has a HP/lp filter on it but some reviews were staying that it wasn't good for highs and mids. Either way I have a Clarion EQ also hooked up to the car.

The taramps has a HP/lp filter on it but some reviews were staying that it wasn't good for highs and mids. Either way I have a Clarion EQ also hooked up to the car.
They exist, but they're not variable, same as the sony one on that list. Without variability you can't set the best crossover for your individual speakers and predicting a crossover point accurately without it being installed is next to impossible when mounting to the stock speaker locations.

If you have an EQ then Taramps is a great choice, so I'd stick with the 440x4 in that case.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.