My JP23 hut thermal protect today.

Participant count
  • Participant list

some dude

I myself was once president of Algeria
It was about 90* outside, and my car doesn't have AC.
Amp is in the trunk, possibly laying on a towel for vibration absorption.

I was jamming out when bass cut off. Wired bass remote still showing amp voltage (13.6) and the TEMP light illuminated in orange.

Temp reading was 129*F.

Just thought I'd share. This is the 1st time this has happened.
It's possible the amp is smothered by the towel and unable to dissipate heat well enough.
Amp is not easily accessible, and out of sight. I can access it if I remove my rear seat.

Heat is always an issue with electronics in general. Keeping an air gap between the surface mounting area of the amplifier and air circulation is quite beneficial and generally helps, yet fresh cool air is most helpful. I have amplifiers that are more than 20 years old and have lasted and done well due to mounting with a min of 4-5 washers and by using a scroll fan or some kind of air movement. Its cheaper than buying another amplifier another amplifier. I look at the most CFMs a fan can produce. XScorpian/Stinger makes a nice scroll fan. There are others to consider. Ditch the towel as stated. Take care of your electronics so they last

That towel hinders cooling unless it's 4 small squares under the mounting bolts and isolated /w/ proper hardware.
I live in AZ and never heard of such a bonehead way to isolate your amp from vibration.
Just sayin'

I took out the rear seat and adjusted the amp. It was smothered.

I went for a longer drive and cranked it up. The amp temp slowly rose to 137*F. It did not shut off at 129*F like last time.
Kind of interesting.

I took out the rear seat and adjusted the amp. It was smothered.

I went for a longer drive and cranked it up. The amp temp slowly rose to 137*F. It did not shut off at 129*F like last time.
Kind of interesting.
Put some feet on it like this.
0604231153a_HDR.jpg

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...