My 99 Hoe is heavy

Do you think I should re arch them and add new shocks?
Cold or Hot re arch?
Depending on what your final goal would be as far as how much more weight your putting in and how you expect it to ride when you are driving it.

If you are stopping with what you posted then you could just put in the shocks and see if it rides like what you want.

However I would wait till you do the drop kit to change the shocks though. Shocks have an intended internal travel and changing where the truck sits could effect that internal travel. Lowering the truck would basically make the shocks shorter and could bottom out also, depending on how much you lower it. Different shocks will perform differently depending on how they are made and for what type of ride(not the vehicle but how much shock they absorb) they are for.

We don't do the arching here, we outsource it to a place that specializes in it. We basically tell them what our customer wants for either ride stiffness or how much weight.

If you do have the springs re-arched and you have a place do it, let them know you plan on dropping it, the place might have a better suggestion as far as what to do(how much arch to add, adding additional leaves, etc)

I am not saying you couldn't do it and having a place that specializes in it might cost a little bit more but from what we have had done to many trucks, it is worth knowing it is done right and with the proper equipment and will last for probably longer then you will own it. I also don't think you would want it to sit lop sided and/or eat tires because the alignment is out of whack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think I'd rearch my leafs. The fact that they even wear bothers me, a proprely built spring will not sag over time. There's a place who sells HD spring packs for about 150 Each. When I'm on my computer tomorrow I'll send you the link. A spring pack with a bunch of thin leaves will ride better than one with only a few thick leaves.

FYI amazon will usually have bilsteins significantly cheaper

I don't think I'd rearch my leafs. The fact that they even wear bothers me, a proprely built spring will not sag over time. There's a place who sells HD spring packs for about 150 Each. When I'm on my computer tomorrow I'll send you the link. A spring pack with a bunch of thin leaves will ride better than one with only a few thick leaves.
If your vehicle is really heavy and sits for a long time, springs will sag.

After I get more batteries, I think I may get some GP coil springs for the rear

All springs will sag - the thing that causes it is called gravity. It does not matter if it is a leaf or a coil spring. They are made out of steel and no matter how much hardening they do to that steel, they eventually will sag/bend or break (BTW hardening makes them brittle and that is why they are as thick as they are).

Now if you had springs made out of carbon fiber that some cars/vans have, then no they will not sag.

If you expect you car/truck to last forever and never wear out, I would suggest you stop driving it and have it stored in a climate controlled storage on blocks.

All springs will sag - the thing that causes it is called gravity. It does not matter if it is a leaf or a coil spring. They are made out of steel and no matter how much hardening they do to that steel, they eventually will sag/bend or break (BTW hardening makes them brittle and that is why they are as thick as they are).
Now if you had springs made out of carbon fiber that some cars/vans have, then no they will not sag.

If you expect you car/truck to last forever and never wear out, I would suggest you stop driving it and have it stored in a climate controlled storage on blocks.
Then you will still induce rust.

Cars sitting in storage tend to get little rust and engine oil stick and fluid dry out.

As far as springs and struts/shocks..

They last longer if you dont constantly drive fast and brake hard.

And purchasing struts/shocks for your exact weight will cause them to struggle.

Going for 1/3 or double the weight specs can last you 10 years if treated right

Sent from my Z970 using Tapatalk

I guess if you want to be picky sure springs will sag, especially poor quality springs like those used by many car manufacturers. A quality spring will last 50+ years. There's a good amount of leaf sprung vehicles from back in the day that retain nearly the same ride height (minus a half inch at most). Add to that the consumer who generally doesn't give two damns about their springs and overloads them, never replaces shocks on time, and never replaces bushings or ensures the vehicle is aligned properly. Add on to that a block lift kit and you get increased axle wrap which further reduces the lifetime of the spring.

My rear leaf springs are sagging a good 2 inches, obviously they're crap quality. I'm not pulling this out of my ***, quality leaf springs will not sag to the point of needing to be replaced in a vehicles lifetime.

Just checked, and it looks like they only have OEM springs for your tahoe because the length is different than that of my silverado. Yours is 27inches and mine is 32 the site says. Good news is that they're 99$ brand new, I'd recommend calling them and seeing if they can make a 5 or 7 thick spring that'll give you about 3 inches of lift in the rear, I doubt it'll be any more than $200 a spring and I'd be willing to be it'll ride better than your current set up if you got a set of 3 inch bilsteins as well.

http://www.generalspringkc.com/Leaf_Springs_Chevrolet_Tahoe_Yukon_Denali_Escalade_s/1848.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
The other problem is that even though springs in the past have lived 50+ years, look at when they where made. Manufactures anymore only use what they have to to keep costs down. Technology in manufacturing has helped a lot but car makers mostly only use it to make them cheaper.

Yup and 50 years ago vehicles rode like crap. Springs are a wear item. If they stay fully compressed or fully extended they will not wear....cycling them is what makes them wear. They will sag.....it is inevitable.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

speedyjuarez

Premium Member
Premium Member
speedyjuarez
Live in Hobbs, NM. From Ft Worth, TX
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date