MTX Terminator dual 12" subwoofers dust cap?cone cracked in the very center about 1" across fix?

just got the new dustcaps I ordered. only costed about 10$ for a pair of 4. came with glue

removed the bowls cleanly and applied the new dustcaps and CRC rubberized Adhesive glue stuff and put something on the dustcaps to keep them weighted down evenly to make sure they cure solid
I applied 3 layers of the glue so theres no chance of gaps or leaks. with an hour drying time before each layer.

there was no groove for the new dustcaps. so i just centered them as best as i could and went around the edge with the glue making sure to not move the dustcap and keep it centered. i think it'll seep into the gap well enough to have a strong enough bond

they look much better already

Last edited by a moderator:
what does a landfill have to do with my subwoofers? im not throwing them away if I can still salvage them with a new dustcap

Salvage??

That's kinda like a bald guy trying to salvage his hair by putting a cap on his head 

What's with these guys trying to salvage their junk mtx/enclosures lately 

subwoofers done. picture

subwoofers 2.png

lmao they looked horrendous with the plastic bowls on them. they look way better and more professional now with the big dustcaps

not really. and I dont know how long the hot glue would of held on with them either. it peeled off pretty easily after i got under the glue with a plastic spudger. came off pretty clean too. clean enough for the new glue to stick well.

Idk what mtx is doing? Putting brain rotting chemicals into their cone materials? Is this like DuPont and the crap they were using for their Teflon products? Or are you two guys related? 

The cones are made of polypropylene. Its one of 2 plastics that are extremely hard to adhere to. The other one is polyethylene. You need special glues to bond to those 2 types of materials. Hot glue has poor bonding properties when it comes to plastic. 

the cone material is really brittle and cracks easily when bent. I had to be careful with the razor when cutting out the circle slightly larger than the voice coil so the cracks didn't spread outward.

the new dustcaps seem to be on pretty well from what I can tell. they aren't coming off without a fight. I used CRC rubber cement speaker adhesive to glue on the dustcaps. it came with the new dustcaps

since theres no groove to put the new dustcaps sealed into I just aligned it as well as I could on both speakers and went around the edges with the rubber cement all the way around and let it dry for a while then applied a second layer of glue around the edges to help make sure its sealed well and not coming loose and fill in any gaps

I used the old bowls and small 6v latnern style battery inside the bowls to weigh the dustcaps down while they were drying and curing

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.