Most likely causes of 'pop' when changing track or source on head unit

Participant count
  • Participant list

Atlanta007
10+ year member

Atlanta
Hello, I'm running a fairly basic system in an older Mercedes. An Alpine CDA-9805 head unit, a Clarion compact 4 channel amp and a set of 4" coax Helix speakers in the front and pair of 5 1/4" Alpines in the rear deck. I didn't want to cut or alter this car to provide for components, and I'm not running a subwoofer. The system sounds pretty good, but I get a very audible and annoying 'pop' from all 4 speakers most of the time I change tracks on the cd or ipod, or switch source from cd to aux (ipod) to radio. I don't get any alternator whine and I've rechecked and improved the grounds for the HU and the amp, but no change in the pop.

Is this typically a wiring issue, maybe the RCAs too close to power or speaker wires, or does it sound like a problem with the HU? I'm using decent quality rcas and quality 16 gauge speaker wire. Thanks for any input.

Last edited:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...