Metal vocals disappear at high volume

Participant count
  • Participants list

chillin
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
I have a kenwood ddx9906 hu, a taramps ts400x4, bridged to 150x2 into cdt cl-62pro speakers in the front and a crossfire vr1000d putting about 1200 watts into a skar vvx12.

Overall, the sound is really good for most music. It does lack mid bass, but rarely noticeable. The problem comes in when I have hard Rock or metal on loud. The vocals disappear. I've played with the eq and it doesn't really help. I'm wondering if it's a phase issue? Should I look at the time alignment or what the next step should be.

Thanks

Where are the speakers and tweeters mounted?

Are you using the built in enhancements in that Kenwood Head Unit?

Are you using the DSP of that head unit?

If using the DSP, how do you have the delays set?
Speakers are in the door and tweeters in dash. It's a hyundai sonata, so factory locations. I have the sound stage set to high, I've tried the seating position centered and at driver seat (front left) but haven't played with the delays much more than that.

Speakers are in the door and tweeters in dash. It's a hyundai sonata, so factory locations. I have the sound stage set to high, I've tried the seating position centered and at driver seat (front left) but haven't played with the delays much more than that.
The soundstage is already high with dash speakers and I know my eXcelon head unit cuts mids when I select a higher soundstage. Try to leave that setting off. Reset your delays to a distance of ZERO feet. Slowly start moving the right speaker further away until the sound starts to move across the dash towards the center. The kenwood will automatically start adjusting the left speaker as you move the right speaker distance away. Do all this with a flat EQ. After you set that delay and the sound is in the center of the dash, try the EQ.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...