mdf or birch

Mdf works good and so does birch. The difference is birch is a lighter hardwood. So that 3/4 birch will work as good as 1" mdf with a fraction of the weight.Only thing is make sure its a solid birch, not a birch covered plywood

Birch, lighter, stronger, less mess. around here theres about $5-10 difference between .75 mdf and .75 birch. birch 40 /sheet
Then that is birch laminated plywood. Outside layer is birch, inside isn't.

True baltic birch will be around $100 for a 5x5 sheet of 1" thick.

Birch isnt THAT much more expensive than MDF. As a percentage it is, but its going to be like $10-$15 a sheet more usually.

Birch is lighter and stronger, but I dont like the way it cuts, and it splinters when you cut it. Hard to get a nice looking edge when its all splintered and shooting little chunks of wood into your face.

MDF is heavier and not as strong, but cuts like butter and is much easier to router. ***** it makes so much dust though.

Really depends on the application.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.