McIntosh MX406

Participant count
  • Participant list
i always wondered does that unit have dsp or is it just really clean sonically? i mean the brand is all about sq but i never hear much about the deck other than it looks good and sounds good . no real details

Its a 100% basic deck. It reads CD's so at a basic level there has to be some digital processing and a digital to analog converter. But there's no xovers or time alignment. It has a very primative EQ for bass and treble, kinda curious as to how it sounds though. I got a good deal on it so I may just put it up on ebay. Wanted to know if it was worth installing and listening to it.

Its a 100% basic deck. It reads CD's so at a basic level there has to be some digital processing and a digital to analog converter. But there's no xovers or time alignment. It has a very primative EQ for bass and treble, kinda curious as to how it sounds though. I got a good deal on it so I may just put it up on ebay. Wanted to know if it was worth installing and listening to it.
see i would have no use for it, sure it looks pretty, but compared to the deh-80prs i doubt it hold a flame and considering you have the p99rs i would just flip it for a profit

see i would have no use for it, sure it looks pretty, but compared to the deh-80prs i doubt it hold a flame and considering you have the p99rs i would just flip it for a profit
Thats what I am thinking... I'm sure it sounds great sonically prehaps even better than the 99prs, but the raw digital processing power and features win out on pioneer's platforms. Honestly it was a hard decision to pass up the 80prs I sold, because it had more features like bluetooth.

Here was a test performed on DIYMA.com: DIYMA Car Audio Forum - View Single Post - High end headunit shootout... this time with data. Looking for headunits. BUT it was a Mcintosh MX5000/MDA5000 versus an Alpine IVE-S920HD.
Regardless, it pretty much drives my cynical point home that there is no reason to run old, featureless, CD players unless it is purely for nostalgia purposes or bragging rights amongst those who don't know any better.
Thanks man, good info.

Of the three HU's the MX5000 was the finest HU McIntosh ever made some people debate that but its my feeling. The **** thing was only sold in Japan. That thing is highly sought after, if the Alpine was favored over that... then the MX406 does't stand a chance.

Thats what I am thinking... I'm sure it sounds great sonically prehaps even better than the 99prs, but the raw digital processing power and features win out on pioneer's platforms. Honestly it was a hard decision to pass up the 80prs I sold, because it had more features like bluetooth.
personally im hoping the 80prs i ordered lives up to the the reviews out there cause its going to be the foundation of my whole system. which since im going for a sql install with more emphasis on the sq part i need the deck to perform as expected.

on a side note when you had the 80prs was the sub output selectable mono/stereo or was it just stereo

personally im hoping the 80prs i ordered lives up to the the reviews out there cause its going to be the foundation of my whole system. which since im going for a sql install with more emphasis on the sq part i need the deck to perform as expected.
on a side note when you had the 80prs was the sub output selectable mono/stereo or was it just stereo
I have a DEH-80PRS sitting in the box while waiting on my PDX V9 to arrive. Anyhow, you can do the sub output as mono or stereo in the settings of the deck.

I never installed the 80PRS. On the p99rs the sub output is stereo only. Its almost false advertising how Pioneer markets it. They claim it has dual left and right equilizers, you can only use the EQ for all channels simultainouly, unless I am missing something.

I have a DEH-80PRS sitting in the box while waiting on my PDX V9 to arrive. Anyhow, you can do the sub output as mono or stereo in the settings of the deck.
thats sweet it saves me money on rcas since i can just split my single rca in the back to each of my sub amps and still get a mono signal going to each. i almost picked up a v9 but i needed two sub amps so i can alternate between 1 10 or 2, or if i have the 8inch baffles in 2 8s or 4 8s separate chambers of coarse lol. keeps me from getting used to my bass at least a fast.

I never installed the 80PRS. On the p99rs the sub output is stereo only. Its almost false advertising how Pioneer markets it. They claim it has dual left and right equilizers, you can only use the EQ for all channels simultainouly, unless I am missing something.
yea i kinda do get why they only made it an auto eq option but i do think they shouldve done something similar to the imprint or rockford 360 computer program on the deck for some of us advanced installers

yea i kinda do get why they only made it an auto eq option but i do think they shouldve done something similar to the imprint or rockford 360 computer program on the deck for some of us advanced installers
I'm reading the manual... AGAIN... the g-d deck aggrovates me sometimes.

I think Pioneer thinks its users are morons a little bit, I want complete control, so dont hide my Auto EQ curve. Definately let me control the EQ for each channel if I want to... Give me a decent microphone and a multipoint auto eq... All things that deck should be able to do for the price.

Today I realized I prefer the Auto EQ with some "all channel eq" adjustments more than running it with the auto eq off... I hope switching to active makes me enjoy the deck more. I really liked the CD7200 mkii... great sound (not awesome detail) but I really like how eclipse handeled the levels from music... it was balanced and did not require a lot of tweekeing.

I'm reading the manual... AGAIN... the g-d deck aggrovates me sometimes.
I think Pioneer thinks its users are morons a little bit, I want complete control, so dont hide my Auto EQ curve. Definately let me control the EQ for each channel if I want to... Give me a decent microphone and a multipoint auto eq... All things that deck should be able to do for the price.

Today I realized I prefer the Auto EQ with some "all channel eq" adjustments more than running it with the auto eq off... I hope switching to active makes me enjoy the deck more. I really liked the CD7200 mkii... great sound (not awesome detail) but I really like how eclipse handeled the levels from music... it was balanced and did not require a lot of tweekeing.
i might would give pioneer a call if i were you they may be able to just walk u through it. they may have forgotten to put those directions in the manual considering most people now days would be happy with the auto eq. still i think youre right to be aggravated with not getting what you expected. you maybe could take them to court for this actually of you really wanted to. it is false advertisement if you cant adjust the eq manually

i might would give pioneer a call if i were you they may be able to just walk u through it. they may have forgotten to put those directions in the manual considering most people now days would be happy with the auto eq. still i think youre right to be aggravated with not getting what you expected. you maybe could take them to court for this actually of you really wanted to. it is false advertisement if you cant adjust the eq manually
It is 100% false advertisment... how they said over and over left/right independant... MY ARSS. It has left right control only with auto EQ. This will be the last deck I buy from them.

Alpine's line up disappoints me otherwise I would check them out.

I honestly think you could give them a run for their money in court. But they would have a high power lawyer get them off. I think I will give them a call at some point. Their tech support was pretty good when I called about my double din. lol

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.